Novo

Camano AG-130 - História

Camano AG-130 - História


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Camano

Uma ilha ao largo do estado de Washington.

(AG-130: dp. 620; 1,17 '; b. 33'; dr. 10 '; s. 13 k .;
cpl. 26; cl. Camano)

Camano (AG-130) foi construído em 1944 pela Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., Long Island, N.Y .; adquirido como o Exército FS-256 em Apra, Guam, 16 de julho de 1947; e comissionado no mesmo dia, Tenente (grau júnior) J. J. Daly no comando.

Após a conclusão de sua conversão em 8 de outubro de 1947, Camano começou a trabalhar com cargas e passageiros de Guam para as Ilhas Carolinas. Ela foi reclassificada como AKL-1 em 31 de março de 1949. Em 2 de junho de 1949, ela partiu para Pearl Harbor para uma revisão, depois retomou o serviço em Guam em 24 de setembro e permaneceu lá, exceto para outra revisão em Pearl Harbor, até 26 de julho de 1951, quando foi desativada e transferido para o Departamento do Interior. Camano foi devolvido à Marinha em 22 de dezembro de 1952.


HistoryLink.org

Stanwood está localizado no noroeste do condado de Snohomish, na foz do antigo canal do rio Stillaguamish. A maior parte da cidade fica no delta do rio e, nos últimos anos, começou a crescer para leste, acima da planície de inundação do rio. É o centro comercial para os residentes da Ilha de Camano no condado da Ilha a oeste e os do vale do rio a leste da Interstate 5 e ao norte da Reserva Tulalip. A cidade foi banhada em 1888 e incorporada em 1903. Uma segunda comunidade, "East Stanwood", localizada uma milha a leste do distrito comercial da orla, foi banhada em 1906 e incorporada em 1922. Duas grandes serrarias operavam na orla com vários pequenos moinhos de telhas nas áreas circundantes. Feno e aveia das fazendas do vale eram enviados em barcos a vapor como safra comercial. Com o fechamento das madeireiras na década de 1930, a economia agrícola cresceu. Após a Segunda Guerra Mundial, a Twin City Foods mudou de uma fábrica de conservas para uma fábrica de congelamento e se expandiu ao longo da orla marítima. Stanwood e East Stanwood consolidaram-se em 1960. Hoje, 2008, a cidade ainda é cercada por campos agrícolas, costas ricas em vida selvagem e vistas dos Jogos Olímpicos e das Cascatas - atraente como uma pequena comunidade com muitos recursos naturais e econômicos e com muitas pessoas que estão envolvidos em ajudá-lo a crescer e mudar de maneira sensata.

Stanwood’s Beginnings

O assentamento de Stanwood começou por volta de 1866 perto da foz do rio Stillaguamish e foi inicialmente chamado de Centerville. Havia um salão e entreposto comercial atendendo fazendeiros e madeireiros que faziam reivindicações rio acima e no delta do rio. O povo salish da costa da tribo Stillaguamish tinha um acampamento perto do local do primeiro entreposto comercial e outras aldeias rio acima e ao longo da costa de Port Susan. A palavra Stillaguamish significa “povo do rio”. Os grupos tribais vizinhos eram os Kikiallus em Conway e na Ilha Camano, e o povo Skagit e o povo Snohomish ao sul, entre vários outros. Eles, tanto homens quanto mulheres, costumavam ser cruciais no transporte dos primeiros colonizadores e seus pertences para todas as áreas de Puget Sound, usando suas habilidades de canoagem.

Visitantes e novos residentes mal conhecem o rio que era a conexão comercial para novos fazendeiros e negócios no baixo vale do rio Stillaguamish. Mas eles podem ver à distância enquanto cavalgam sobre a ponte na State Route 532. Em seus primeiros dias, o rio era largo o suficiente para permitir que os barcos a vapor navegassem em sua rota sinuosa através de suas planícies de maré seis milhas até Florença, o local de outra comunidade ribeirinha. A parte mais antiga de Stanwood perto do rio ainda tem muitos de seus primeiros edifícios - alguns construídos logo após o Plat of Stanwood de 1888 ter sido registrado.

Os correios foram estabelecidos e designados Centerville em 1870 e esse se tornou o primeiro nome do pequeno entreposto comercial na foz do rio. O correio chegou via Utsalady em uma lancha ou barcos a vapor de canoa ainda não eram um serviço regular. Em 1873, o correio foi transferido para uma pensão na costa norte do rio Stillaguamish para um hotel onde a Twin City Foods Company está localizada. Quatro anos depois, em 1877, D. O. Pearson (1846-1929) chegou com capital e bens para uma loja no valor de $ 4.000 (Whitfield, Vol. P. 490). Ele também construiu um cais para permitir que um barco a vapor atracasse ao longo do rio Stillaguamish. Ele se tornou o sexto Postmaster em sete anos. Pearson também deu à cidade um nome menos comum - o nome de solteira de sua esposa Clara, "Stanwood". Pearson e seu pai, mãe e irmãs vieram para Puget Sound nas Expedições Mercer e se estabeleceram na Ilha Whidbey.

Foi nessa mesma época que dois colonos noruegueses proeminentes chegaram, Oliver B. Iverson (1845-1940) e o Rev. Christian Joergenson (1847-1929), que por sua vez encorajou parentes e amigos a imigrar e a cultivar ou trabalhar nos campos madeireiros . O. B. Iverson era um agrimensor e se tornou um legislador territorial. Ele deixou relatos escritos de sua exploração da área. Christian Joergenson veio para a comunidade como ministro luterano e mais tarde serviu por dois anos como comissário do condado de Snohomish, agricultor e foi um dos fundadores da Stanwood Cooperative Creamery Association, entre várias outras realizações. Seu filho, Gustav, escreveu uma extensa série de artigos no Twin City News que apareceu em 1848 e 1949. Ambos os homens foram influentes em trazer amigos e parentes noruegueses para a área.

Para possibilitar a agricultura, a terra foi desmatada e os colonos construíram diques ao longo das encostas e do rio. Na década de 1880, os acampamentos de madeireiras cercaram a área do vale do rio Stillaguamish. Os agricultores cultivavam feno e aveia por dinheiro. Alguns tinham grandes fazendas com muito gado, mas todos tinham algumas vacas, galinhas, árvores frutíferas, frutas vermelhas e sobreviveram como podiam fazendo esse trabalho exaustivo. Alguns também eram madeireiros ou moinhos que se estabeleceram depois que a fábrica de Utsalady, na Ilha de Camano, fechou em 1891.

Conto de Duas Cidades

Em 1891, a Seattle & Montana Railway (controlada pelos interesses da Great Northern Railway) percorreu seus trilhos uma milha a leste da plataforma da cidade de Stanwood e estabeleceu um depósito lá conectando o vale com Bellingham ao norte e Seattle ao sul. Isso não era conveniente para o transporte de grãos ou telhas que haviam sido orientadas para o uso do transporte marítimo e, para alguns empresários de Stanwood, isso era considerado um retrocesso. Apesar da ferrovia contorná-la, um incêndio em 1892 que destruiu 13 edifícios em Stanwood e uma depressão nacional, a área começou a crescer lentamente. Em 1895, a Stanwood Cooperative Creamery foi fundada e construída nas terras altas a leste do depósito, começando a história das duas cidades, Stanwood e East Stanwood.

Em 1898, a Friday Fish Cannery foi fundada à beira-mar. Durou pouco, mas foi um grande impulso para o moral local. O evento mais influente foi o dinheiro dos empreendimentos na Corrida do Ouro de Klondike em 1898. Vários homens de Stanwood foram para o Alasca e de lá para o Klondike e voltaram com meios para comprar fazendas ou investir em negócios.

Cinco anos depois, em 1903, a cidade de Stanwood e a Stanwood Lumber Company foram incorporadas. A Stanwood Lumber Company estava localizada na foz do rio, onde o rio se bifurca ao norte com a baía de Skagit e ao sul com Port Susan. Associada à fábrica estava a empresa de expansão que manuseia as toras que descem o rio. A leste do moinho ficava o celeiro. Perto do depósito (o futuro East Stanwood, uma milha a leste), o People’s Union operava um armazém geral e um mercado de carnes. Seu novo salão foi inaugurado em 1904.

Em 1904, o Banco de Stanwood foi incorporado e a H & H Railroad Co. foi construída. Para fazer uso do Great Northern, a H&H Railroad foi estabelecida para conectar as fábricas de Stanwood e os passageiros com o depósito uma milha a leste. Freqüentemente chamada de Hall & Hall, a H&H Railroad era administrada por John W. Hall (1870-1931), sua esposa Alice e, mais tarde, seu filho Jesse. Eles operavam o Stanwood Feed and Livery, que fornecia serviço de transporte de ida e volta para o depósito e, nos primeiros anos, também operava um bonde. A locomotiva da ferrovia costumava ser carinhosamente chamada de "Dinky". Durante a década de 1930, alcançou alguma notoriedade como a “Ferrovia mais curta do mundo” (Essex, v. 1, 25,26, 62,92-93 v. 2, 110). Com H. C. Anderson (1865-1914) como o principal investidor e a Stanwood Lumber Company como seu principal cliente inicial, ela transportou passageiros e produtos entre Stanwood e o Great Northern Depot em East Stanwood. Às vezes, as crianças em idade escolar o usavam para ir à escola. As notícias anunciaram a parte H&H da era moderna do bonde, que começava em outras partes do condado de Snohomish. Esta pequena ferrovia começou com uma máquina a vapor e um bonde usados ​​em 1905 e funcionou até a década de 1930. Ele mudou de motor e não transportou passageiros em seus últimos anos. No final dos anos 20 e 30 seu funcionamento dependia das necessidades das usinas.

A zona ribeirinha foi ainda durante muitos anos importante como local dos dois grandes moinhos e como local do celeiro. Mais tarde conhecida como Stanwood Grain Company, que negociava os grãos para os fazendeiros à medida que eram despachados, a empresa mudou-se para o local do depósito por volta de 1914. Por volta de 1941, tornou-se a Twin City Grain Company. Hoje (2008), a Wolfkill Feed and Fertilizer Company ainda opera um elevador de grãos neste local.

Irvine Slough e Hamilton Stack

Na extremidade leste da orla, o Irvine Slough entrava no rio. Foi nomeado em homenagem a John Irvine, que tinha um rancho e o segundo armazém em Stanwood perto da foz do pântano. Nos primeiros dias, o lamaçal carregava toras e barcaças das terras altas e do moinho de seixos em East Stanwood. Foi perto da foz deste lamaçal que o segundo grande moinho foi estabelecido no local ao redor da atual "Pilha de Hamilton", onde havia uma sucessão de pequenos moinhos de telhas de 1880 a 1916. Em 1916 George Kunze (falecido em 1922) da Wisconsin Timber Co. concluiu um novo moinho de 160.000 pés quadrados com quatro grandes fornos a seco à prova de fogo neste local. Em 1923, a fábrica foi comprada e operada pela Clough Lumber Co.

A "pilha de Hamilton", uma chaminé, foi construída por Clough em 1927 para elevar a fumaça do lixo em chamas para que não soprasse para a cidade. Ainda é um marco importante, decorado sazonalmente com luzes por voluntários do Lion's Club e Corpo de Bombeiros. A fábrica parou de funcionar no início da década de 1930 e a propriedade foi então adquirida pela família Hamilton por volta de 1945. Eles operam a atual madeireira com esse nome e até 1960 também tinha uma pequena serraria. A fábrica neste local foi continuamente atormentada por incêndios, destruindo as tentativas de modernização até a década de 1960, quando foi fechada em antecipação à nova Rodovia Estadual 532 proposta através da área. O lamaçal foi desviado naquela época para entrar no rio mais a leste através dos tubos de drenagem da estação de bombeamento.

East Stanwood Começos

Em East Stanwood, após o estabelecimento da União do Povo, a comunidade começou a crescer lentamente. Após seu retorno da mineração de ouro em 1904, Francis Giard (1872-1956) comprou sua fazenda a leste de Stanwood e cultivou frutas e bagas no que é atualmente a terra a leste de QFC para Viking Village. Ele foi um dos primeiros parceiros do Bank of Stanwood. Em 1906, ele registrou a plataforma de East Stanwood adjacente ao depósito e logo a leste de sua grande fazenda.

Em 1922, East Stanwood se tornou uma cidade incorporada com Giard como seu primeiro prefeito. Em 1907, um recém-chegado relativo, Carl J. Gunderson (1876-1976), chegou. Depois de alguns anos em Cedarhome, ele se tornou gerente da People’s Union Store. Ele foi fundamental para estabelecer o Banco do Povo em 1910, que mais tarde se tornou o Banco do Estado de East Stanwood.

Estradas e construção de estradas

Em 1906, o capítulo local da Washington Good Roads Association foi organizado para promover a construção de estradas. A estrada para a Ilha Camano foi criada quando a ponte foi construída em 1909. Naquela época, a milha de estrada entre Stanwood e East Stanwood (271st Ave NW) foi pavimentada com os primeiros pavimentos duros de tijolos vitrificados colocados no Condado de Snohomish. A primeira milha experimental de pavimento de concreto foi lançada no ano seguinte, 1914, de Stanwood ao norte em direção a Skagit County, agora 102nd Ave NW. Na época, era a rodovia principal.

Estágios de automóveis (transporte público para os primeiros dias) conectados aos bondes em Everett e Mt. Vernon e os carros tinham que passar por Stanwood. Na década de 1920, a Pacific Highway foi construída, contornando Stanwood a leste do depósito. Duas seções restantes dessas primeiras estradas de tijolos ainda adicionam caráter e um senso de lugar único para a comunidade em crescimento.

East Stanwood

Com melhorias nas estradas, East Stanwood poderia crescer. Em 1912, a Pacific Coast Condensed Milk Company iniciou suas operações em Stanwood na orla marítima, mas em 1914 mudou-se para uma nova instalação de processamento na encosta acima dos trilhos da ferrovia. Era uma instalação de 35.000 pés quadrados para esterilização e enlatamento de leite dos fazendeiros da região. Um ano depois, mudou seu nome para Leite de Cravo. Eventualmente, essa instalação se tornou uma fábrica de conservas de vegetais localizada na encosta a leste dos trilhos da ferrovia, conveniente para o transporte ferroviário. Agora serve como uma unidade de armazenamento a frio.

Naquele mesmo ano, 1914, o East Stanwood Post Office foi estabelecido e a cidade começou a se desenvolver. Quando o prédio do colégio foi concluído ao lado da North Street School em Stanwood, ele atraiu alunos das comunidades vizinhas de East Stanwood, Camano Island, Cedarhome, Florence e Norman. A localização desta escola foi controversa porque muitos residentes de East Stanwood preferiram vê-la em um local mais central. Um acordo foi fechado para colocá-lo entre as duas “cidades”, mas não deu certo. O ressentimento em relação a isso continuou até depois que East Stanwood formalmente incorporou e formou seu próprio distrito escolar, poucos meses depois. Em 1922, uma emissão de títulos de $ 8.000 foi aprovada para a construção de uma escola primária de duas salas em um terreno adquirido de Peter Henning (1868-1955) na colina a leste do depósito. Em 1925, o estilo de missão Lincoln School foi dedicado. Este edifício é agora o centro de idosos local.

Cidades gêmeas se tornam uma cidade

Com o passar dos anos, as duas comunidades adquiriram o nome conhecido de "Cidades Gêmeas". Durante esse tempo, "Stanwood" referia-se à área à beira-mar. A partir de 1910, o rio passou a exigir a limpeza de saliências e dragagem para ser navegado com segurança. A zona portuária declinou à medida que os barcos a vapor declinaram como meio de transporte viável. Conforme os congestionamentos foram removidos, o fluxo principal do rio foi gradualmente desviado para Port Susan através do canal Hatt Slough. O rio que já foi profundo o suficiente para navios a vapor é agora considerado pouco mais do que um lamaçal de maré.

Em 1918, a Lien Bros. Packing Co. foi estabelecida na orla marítima localizada entre as duas fábricas. Esta foi a empresa de enlatados predecessora da atual Twin City Foods., Inc., que se tornou um grande empregador substituindo as fábricas na orla à medida que fechavam. A conexão ferroviária ainda era necessária, então a Twin City Foods Company construiu sua própria ferrovia ao norte da cidade. Hoje é uma das principais instalações de processamento de vegetais congelados com marca própria do país.

As duas cidades se consolidaram em 1960 depois de anos de complicadas rivalidades sobre questões escolares, interesses comerciais e talvez confrontos de personalidades. O rio foi um personagem importante no drama quando a ferrovia contornou a orla marítima e sempre que inundou. Finalmente, os custos de fornecimento de obras públicas forçaram as duas cidades a se consolidarem.

Após a fusão em 1960, a orla foi praticamente esquecida. Um novo desenvolvimento estava ocorrendo em East Stanwood e entre as cidades. Na década seguinte, a Rodovia Estadual 532 contornou a antiga rodovia que passava pela cidade até a Ilha de Camano. A nova estrada foi construída alta o suficiente para funcionar como um dique para desviar a água e evitar que ameace a cidade, exceto para os eventos de nível mais alto da água, mas os residentes ao redor ainda sofrem. Embora Stanwood não tenha sido inundado desde 1959, a ameaça continua. As primeiras fotografias documentam as inundações que os habitantes da cidade e os agricultores suportaram com senso de humor - até mesmo apreciando o rico lodo que eles sentiram fertilizar seus campos. No entanto, eles servem para lembrar a comunidade de sua existência precária.

Os limites da cidade de Stanwood tinham apenas 1.961 pessoas no censo de 1990. Em 2005, eram 4.580. Só na década de 1990 um novo desenvolvimento comercial e residencial começou com a anexação de terras a leste e acima da planície de inundação na colina, dando início a uma terceira fase da história de Stanwood.

Cruzamento da 270th Ave NW (Main Street) e 102nd Ave NW (Market Street) com a rua original de tijolos, Stanwood, ca. 1935

Foto de J. Boyd Ellis, cortesia da Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 2002.109.10)

Mapa de Stanwood e do vale do rio Lower Stillaguamish, n.d.

Cortesia da Stanwood Area Historical Society

Seção do mapa desenhado para apropriadores, Lower Stillaguamish River Valley, Centerville (mais tarde Stanwood), 1873

Cortesia da Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 95.139.09)

Canoa indiana na orla de Stanwood, ca. 1910

Cortesia da Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 94.32.06)

Família Pearson reunida para casamento em frente à D. O. Pearson House, Stanwood, 1907

Foto de John T. Wagness, cortesia da Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 92.07.02b)

D. O. Pearson House (1890), 12108 102nd Avenue NW, Stanwood, 1920

Foto de John T. Wagness, cortesia da Stanwood Historical Society e Everett Public Library

Great Northern Railway Depot, Stanwood, ca. 1910

Cortesia da Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 88.06.174.02)

o Gleaner (1907), Stanwood waterfront, n.d.

Cortesia da Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 90.12.01f)

Cooperative Creamery (fundada em 1895), Stanwood, n.d.

Cortesia da Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 86.08.98.01)

Trabalhadores da Stanwood Lumber Company, Stanwood, ca. 1910

Cortesia da Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 96.25.10)

Bloco comercial voltado para o leste em direção aos trilhos da ferrovia, 271st Avenue NW, East Stanwood, ca. 1906

Cortesia da Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 88.06.143.05)

O edifício da União do Povo (1904), agora o “Granery”, Stanwood, n.d.

Cortesia da Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 93.113.01v)

Primeiras ruas de tijolos sendo construídas no condado de Snohomish, olhando para o oeste do quarteirão comercial, East Stanwood, 1913

Cortesia da Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 96.26.11)

Condensação (agora North Star Cold Storage) com vista para a planície de inundação e a Baía de Skagit à distância, East Stanwood, 1913

Foto de Juleen, cortesia da Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 88.06.284.01)

Market Street (olhando para o norte) durante enchentes, Stanwood, ca. 1909

Foto de John T. Wagness, cortesia da Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 93.87.13)

Wisconsin Timber Company (mais tarde Clough Mill) foz de Irvine Slough, Stanwood, ca. 1917


Nossa história

Os serviços para idosos em Camano começaram muito antes de a Camano Senior Services Association (CSSA) ser formada.

No outono de 1972, o problema dos serviços para os idosos da Ilha de Camano tornou-se agudo. Naquela época, o Camwood Senior Center (agora conhecido como Stanwood Senior Center) foi organizado para idosos Camano e Stanwood. Poucos serviços estavam disponíveis; na verdade, o local de refeição mais próximo era em Arlington. Muitos idosos Camano se opuseram à longa viagem para aproveitar o Programa de Nutrição e outros serviços. Os comissários do condado de Snohomish e do condado da Ilha se empenharam em reunir esforços para ajudar a resolver esse problema. Uma bolsa foi redigida e, em janeiro de 1973, o Senior Services of Island County (SSIC) começou a fornecer o Programa de Nutrição em Camwood. As refeições foram preparadas no Camano Inn localizado na SR 532 em Camano (mais tarde conhecido como Shipwreck Bar and Grill, que já foi demolido). As refeições foram entregues (pelo ex-diretor e voluntários) ao Camwood Senior Center e ao Camano City Fire Hall às quartas-feiras, ao Camano Country Club Fire Station e à Igreja Luterana de Camano às terças e ao Utsalady Ladies Aid Hall às quintas-feiras.

A história do Centro Camano é tecida em um tema comum de vizinhos percebendo que havia necessidades básicas não atendidas na comunidade e encontrando maneiras de atender a essas necessidades. Aqui está um rápido resumo dos marcos do passado do Centro.

1972, O serviço de refeições para idosos mais próximo fica em Arlington. O Camwood Senior Center (agora conhecido como Stanwood Senior Center) é organizado para fornecer refeições aos idosos Camano e Stanwood.

1973, Senior Services of Island County (SSIC) começa a fornecer o Programa de Nutrição, entregando refeições em vários locais da ilha.

1974 O programa de nutrição muda-se para a Ilha do Camano ocupando um espaço alugado no Camano Plaza.

1978 É inaugurado o “Edifício Azul”, atual Centro Multiuso Camano. O prédio abrigava não apenas o programa de nutrição, mas outras agências que forneciam serviços de saúde e humanos.

1982 A Camano Senior Services Association (CSSA) é constituída para "fornecer atividades sociais, econômicas, educacionais, recreativas e outras para o benefício dos aposentados que residem na Ilha de Camano". Forneceu 100% dos custos operacionais do Centro.

1982 A 2 nd Chance Thrift Shop é inaugurada no atual edifício do Camano Yacht Club.

1985 A 2ª chance muda para seu local atual na Rodovia 532.

1987 Um comitê é nomeado para estudar a viabilidade de expansão.

1987 CSSA adquire um terreno de 18,2 acres em Arrowhead Road.

1989 O Centro estende o horário para cinco dias por semana em resposta à crescente demanda.

1989 Um plano estratégico prevê a criação de um centro independente para idosos até 2005.

1999 CSSA vende 13 acres da propriedade Arrowhead para o distrito escolar de Stanwood-Camano.

2000 Começa a construção do novo Centro Comunitário e Sênior.

2001 O novo edifício está aberto ao público.

2008 O Centro estende seu horário de funcionamento até às 20h, quatro dias por semana.

2011 O Camano Senior and Community Center foi renomeado para Camano Center para atrair membros mais jovens da comunidade.

2013 Um grande presente do espólio de Patricia Hartley permite ao Centro pagar sua hipoteca.

2014 O Centro adiciona horas de sábado e o jardim Legacy é criado para homenagear os doadores.

2015 Fim do financiamento do condado da ilha. O centro é 100% autofinanciado pela segunda vez.

2015 Uma campanha de capital é lançada para expandir o brechó.

2016 O Conselho de Administração inicia um processo de planejamento estratégico de muitos meses, que inclui a criação de uma nova declaração de missão.

2017 A loja 2 nd Chance Thrift muda para seu novo prédio.

2018 O Centro expande seu principal programa de doações com a criação de um fundo de doação.


HistoryLink.org

O condado da Ilha, o oitavo condado mais antigo de Washington, foi criado em 6 de janeiro de 1853 pela Legislatura Territorial de Oregon de uma parte do condado de Thurston e recebeu o nome de uma miríade de ilhas no noroeste de Washington. Originalmente, abrangia os condados de Snohomish, Skagit, Whatcom e San Juan. Atualmente, o condado da Ilha consiste em apenas duas ilhas grandes, Whidbey e Camano, e seis ilhas pequenas desabitadas: Ilha Smith a oeste, ilhas Deception e Pass em Deception Pass e Ben Ure, Strawberry e Baby em Saratoga Passage. A área que compreende o Condado de Island foi explorada pela primeira vez pelo Capitão George Vancouver (1758-1798) durante a primavera de 1792. O condado tem uma área total de 517 milhas quadradas 208,4 milhas quadradas de terra e 309 milhas quadradas de água. Em área, é o segundo menor condado de Washington. É limitado ao norte por Deception Pass, ao sul por Puget Sound, a leste por Skagit Bay e Saratoga Passage, e a oeste por Admiralty Inlet e o estreito de Juan de Fuca. De acordo com o Censo dos Estados Unidos de 2000, o Condado de Island tinha uma população de 71.558 22.477 vivendo em cidades e vilas incorporadas e 49.081 vivendo em áreas não incorporadas. A sede do condado é a histórica cidade de Coupeville na Ilha Whidbey.

Comunidades da Costa Salish

Por milhares de anos, os únicos ocupantes do noroeste do Pacífico foram índios que viviam em grandes casas comunais que subsistiam de peixes, crustáceos, caça selvagem, bem como raízes e frutos silvestres. As ilhas Whidbey e Camano, bem como as ilhas San Juan, foram ocupadas por vários grupos de índios salish da costa, incluindo Skagit, Snohomish e um pequeno número de Clallam. Com exceção das guerras periódicas com outras tribos indígenas, a vida foi relativamente tranquila por muitos séculos.

No final dos anos 1700 e no início dos anos 1800, a população indígena foi dizimada por doenças transmitidas pelo contato com exploradores europeus e americanos. Em algumas áreas, a difteria, a varíola e o sarampo mataram 90% dos índios. Quando os colonos não indígenas chegaram, algumas tribos locais tinham populações de apenas algumas centenas e estavam tão esgotadas que não conseguiam resistir aos intrusos com eficácia.

Ilha Whidbey

A Ilha Whidbey, que forma a parte ocidental do Condado da Ilha, foi nomeada em 10 de junho de 1792 pelo Capitão Vancouver para Joseph Whidbey (1755-1833), Mestre do HMS Descoberta, que provou que era uma ilha ao descobrir Deception Pass. Ele também foi o primeiro explorador não indiano documentado a pisar na ilha, pousando em Penn’s Cove perto do que viria a se tornar Coupeville. O nome da ilha pelos habitantes indianos era Tscha-kole-chy.

A Ilha Whidbey, a maior ilha em Puget Sound, tem aproximadamente 72 quilômetros de comprimento, 16 quilômetros de largura em seu ponto mais largo e 2,5 quilômetros em seu ponto mais estreito. A ilha possui cinco parques estaduais, oito grandes lagos e 320 quilômetros de costa. Pescoços estreitos de terra em Penn’s Cove e Holmes Harbour em Saratoga Passage dividem a ilha em três áreas distintas conhecidas como North, Central e South Whidbey. A State Route 20 conecta Whidbey Island ao continente a oeste de Anacortes por meio das pontes Deception Pass e Canoe Pass e corta o Deception Pass State Park, um parque marinho e de acampamento de 4.134 acres que abrange a ponta norte da Ilha Whidbey. As pontes foram financiadas com fundos da Administração de Obras Públicas federal e da Administração de Socorro de Emergência de Washington, juntamente com fundos do condado, e foram dedicadas em 31 de julho de 1935. O parque ao redor foi melhorado com mão de obra Civilian Conservation Corps. A ilha também é servida por duas rotas de balsa do estado de Washington: Mukilteo-Clinton e Port Townsend-Coupeville (anteriormente chamada de "Port Townsend-Keystone" para a comunidade não incorporada no lado oeste da ilha, a cerca de cinco milhas da cidade de Coupeville, onde o terminal está localizado). De acordo com o U.S. Census Bureau, no ano de 2000, Whidbey Island tinha uma população de 58.211.

O primeiro colono na Ilha Whidbey foi Thomas W. Glasgow, um fazendeiro, que entrou com uma ação de reivindicação de terras sobre o que se tornaria a pradaria de Ebey em 1848. Glasgow era casado com Julia, filha de Patkanim, chefe da tribo Snohomish. Depois de registrar sua reclamação em Olympia, Glasgow e um amigo, A. B. Rabbeson, retornaram à ilha e encontraram aproximadamente 8.000 índios de várias tribos do noroeste do Pacífico acampados em Penn’s Cove. Julia disse que os índios se reuniram em um grande conselho para discutir a incursão de novos colonos em seus locais tradicionais de caça e pesca. Ela sugeriu que Glasgow e Rabbeson saíssem porque suas vidas estavam em perigo. Mais tarde, Julia se juntou a Glasgow em Olympia, onde eles formalizaram seu casamento e constituíram uma família. Os Glasgows nunca mais voltaram para a Ilha Whidbey.

Lei de doação de terras

Em 27 de setembro de 1850, o Congresso aprovou a Lei de Doação de Terras do Oregon, concedendo uma "doação" de terras gratuitas - 320 acres para cada homem solteiro e 640 acres para cada casal - para qualquer pessoa que tivesse se estabelecido na terra antes de 1º de dezembro desse ano. O coronel Isaac Neff Ebey (1818-1857) foi o primeiro homem a entrar com uma ação de 640 acres, em Central Whidbey Island, em 15 de outubro de 1850. O terreno, na costa oeste imediatamente ao sul de Penn's Cove, foi homenageado em história como Ebey's Landing e Ebey's Prairie. Vários outros colonos, a maioria familiares e amigos, entraram com ações na área logo em seguida.

Eles converteram a rica terra negra das pradarias em fazendas, plantando trigo, aveia e batata, e algumas ovelhas criadas. Os colonos também se engajaram na extração de madeira. Os carvalhos eram vendidos para convés e tábuas de navios, e os altos e retos abetos Douglas para mastros e mastros. Coveland, um pequeno assentamento na cabeça de Penn's Cove, serviu como sede do condado da Ilha (1853-1881) e forneceu o primeiro entreposto comercial da ilha, inaugurado pelo capitão Benjamin Barstow em 1853. Em 1888, um grupo de incorporadores de terras invadiu Coveland e mudou o nome para San de Fuca, escolhido devido à sua proximidade com o Estreito de Juan de Fuca.

O coronel Ebey era ativo na política e ocupou vários cargos públicos. Em 1852, ele serviu como representante do condado de Thurston na Assembleia Legislativa do Território de Oregon e foi fundamental na formação dos condados de Island, Jefferson, Pierce e King. Em 1853, Ebey foi nomeado o primeiro juiz de paz do condado da Ilha e também atuou como juiz de sucessões. Nesse mesmo ano, o presidente Franklin Pierce (1804-1869) nomeou Ebey como coletor da alfândega do distrito de Puget Sound. Ebey prontamente transferiu a Alfândega de Olympia para Port Townsend. Durante as Guerras Indígenas (1855-1856), ele comandou uma companhia de Voluntários Territoriais de Washington.

Em 11 de agosto de 1857, Ebey foi baleado e decapitado em sua casa na Ilha Whidbey por um bando de índios Haida que acreditavam que ele era um Tyee ou chefe dos novos colonos. O assassinato foi para vingar a morte de um Tyee e 27 índios mortos em Port Gamble em novembro de 1856 durante uma batalha com o USS Massachusetts.

Coupeville, localizada na costa sul de Penn's Cove, é a cidade mais antiga da Ilha Whidbey e no Condado de Island. Foi fundada por Thomas Coupe (1818-1875) capitão da barca Sucesso, que chegou a Puget Sound em 1852 e entrou com um pedido de doação de terras de 320 acres no local. O Capitão Coupe é o único homem conhecido por ter navegado em um veleiro de cordame quadrado pela traiçoeira Passagem Decepção.

A cidade foi fundada no início da década de 1850 depois que vários capitães do mar que estavam navegando nas águas de Puget Sound decidiram se aposentar ali, entrando com ações de doação de terras. Coupeville, perfeitamente situado em Central Whidbey Island, em frente ao florescente Port Townsend, prosperou e cresceu. A cidade substituiu Coveland como sede do condado em 1881 e foi incorporada no final de abril de 1910. O nome indiano para Coupeville era P't-sa-tl-y, que significa "cesta de cobra". De acordo com o Censo dos EUA de 2000, Coupeville tinha uma população de 1.723.

Fort Ebey e Fort Casey

Imediatamente a oeste de Coupeville, em Pigeon Point, está o Fort Ebey, construído pelo Harbor Defense Command durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial (1941-1945) para ajudar a proteger as bases militares em torno de Puget Sound. Junto com as posições de armas, também era um importante local de radar. Esta propriedade foi adquirida pelo estado em 1968 e tornou-se Fort Ebey State Park, um acampamento de 645 acres com três milhas de costa de água salgada, em 1981.

Quatro milhas ao sul de Coupeville, em Admiralty Head, está Fort Casey, construído pelo Exército dos EUA na virada do século XX. Ativada em 1901, esta imponente fortificação foi uma das três principais fortalezas de artilharia costeira construídas para proteger Puget Sound da invasão marítima. Junto com o Fort Flagler em Marrowstone Island e o Fort Worden em Point Wilson, os três fortes formaram um “Triângulo de Fogo” que destruiria qualquer navio inimigo que tentasse entrar na Admiralty Inlet. Together, these fortifications constituted the heart of the Harbor Defenses of Puget Sound. Fort Casey is also home to the beautiful Admiralty Head Lighthouse, built in 1903.

The Department of Defense deactivated Fort Casey in 1953 and transferred the property to General Services Administration for disposal. In 1955, Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission acquired 100 acres of Fort Casey’s battery area for use as a state park and historical monument. Seattle Pacific University purchased 87 acres, which included most of the fort’s administrative buildings and housing, to create the Camp Casey Conference Center. The present Fort Casey State Park, which includes the Keystone Spit area, was acquired between 1955 and 1988 in three parcels, at a total cost of $300,000.

On December 12, 1973, the National Park Service listed Central Whidbey Island (also known as Ebey’s Landing National Historic Reserve) on the National Register as a Historic District (listing No. 73001869). The Washington State Advisory Council on Historic Preservation also listed the district on the Washington Heritage Register (listing No. 004). In 1980, Fort Ebey and Fort Casey State Parks, including the Admiralty Head Lighthouse, were incorporated into the listings. Today, the Central Whidbey Island Historic District, stretching roughly six miles on either side of Coupeville, and encompassing approximately 25 square miles, is one of the largest historic districts in the country, and has more than 100 structures listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Oak Harbor is located on the east shore of North Whidbey Island, about 10 miles north of Coupeville. It was named by Dr. Richard H. Landsdale, an early settler on Penn’s Cove, for the many large oak trees (including Garry oaks) in the vicinity, an unusual feature in this part of the state. The Indian name for the Oak Harbor/Crescent Harbor area was Kla-tole-tsche. The settlement was founded by three veterans of the California Gold Rush: Zakarias Martin Taftezon (1821-1901), Ulrich Freund, and Clement W. "Charlie" Sumner They came from Olympia by Indian canoe, looking for land. They landed on the western shore of Crescent Harbor and, after seeing the empty fertile prairie, returned to Olympia, filing Donation Land Claims on January 4, 1851.

In the 1850s, Irish immigrants began to settle in the Oak Harbor area, followed by Dutch immigrants in the 1890s. The town of Oak Harbor was officially incorporated on May 14, 1915. In July 1920, the “Oak Harbor Fire” destroyed much of the town. The town struggled through the Great Depression (1929-1939) until 1941 when the U.S. Navy arrived to build an air base. Suddenly Oak Harbor, a quiet farming community of some 650 inhabitants, was transformed into a boomtown as thousands of construction workers and naval personnel arrived in the area. The number of active duty military personnel in Island County, excluding dependents, stays relatively constant, at about 6,000 to 7,000. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Oak Harbor, the largest city in Island County, had a population of 19,795.

North Whidbey Island was essentially a rural, agricultural community until January 17, 1941, when the U.S. Navy decided to build a seaplane base for rearming and refueling navy PBY Catalinas in defense of Puget Sound. The commander of Naval Air Station Sand Point in Seattle recommended Crescent Harbor and Forbes Point on the shores of Saratoga Passage as suitable for seaplane takeoffs and landings under instrument conditions. The site, near the town of Oak Harbor, was protected, the weather was usually good, and it was seldom foggy.

In November 1941, the navy also decided to build an airport for land-based airplanes. The topographic survey team chose Clover Valley, approximately four miles north of Oak Harbor. It was tailor-made for a landing field: level, well drained, and accessible from any approach. The area was strategically located to guard the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the entrance to Puget Sound. Also, the population was sparse, allowing the base plenty of room to grow.

After the December 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor, work on the naval bases began in earnest and concluded in record time. The actual construction of the field began on March 1, 1942, and the first plane, a single-engine SNJ trainer, piloted by Lieutenant Newton Wakefield, landed there on August 5, 1942. Naval Air Station Whidbey Island was commissioned on September 21, 1942. A year later, on September 25, 1943, the airfield was named Ault Field, in memory of Commander William B. Ault, missing in action in the Battle of the Coral Sea. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Ault Field had a population of 2,064.

Freeland is located at the head of Holmes Harbor in South Whidbey Island, 17 south of Coupeville. The site was platted in the 1800s by real estate promoters who called it St. Louis, but no town resulted. At one brief period the area was called Newell, which was the name of the nearest post office. The town was named for the Free Land Association, a group of socialists from South Dakota who intended to make land available to its members practically free of cost, paid for through cooperative enterprises. On January 12, 1899, George Washington Daniels, Henry L. Stevens, and Henry A. White formed the Free Land Association, and on December 29, 1900, Daniels platted a town made up of five-acre lots. It was intended that all the members of Freeland work for the common good, but the settlement failed to coalesce as a socialist community and the Free Land Association went bankrupt in 1920. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in the year 2000, Freeland had a population 1,313.

Perhaps, the most interesting event involving Freeland in the early days was a proposal to build a canal one-and-a-half-miles across South Whidbey Island. In the early 1900s, a venture capital group known as The Pennsylvania Syndicate, took options on nearly ten thousand acres of land between Holmes Harbor and Mutiny Bay on Admiralty Inlet. Their plan was to construct parallel train tracks and a sea-level, salt-water canal to allow ships and barges to be towed between Saratoga Passage and Admiralty Inlet, saving a trip around Possession Point. But anyone familiar with the area knew the savings in time and effort would be negligible and the project was abandoned.

Langley and Clinton

Langley is a small town on Saratoga Passage, approximately 10 miles east of Freeland on South Whidbey Island. The town was platted by Jacob Anthes in 1890 and named for Judge James Weston Langley (1836-1915), a partner in the Langley Land and Improvement Company. A post office was established in 1891 with Anthes as postmaster. Langley, which called itself “The Hub of the Island,” incorporated on February 26, 1913. The town supplied the outlying farmers with mail and dry goods, and was the terminus of steamer Camano, which sailed to Everett and Seattle.

In the 1900s South Whidbey Island was a popular summer destination and many of the Langley homes took in summer boarders. Logging and agriculture -- primarily truck gardens, fruits and berries -- were South Whidbey Island’s principal industries. A large commercial cannery was built at Langley that supplied the Puget Sound region with canned fruits and vegetables. The Island County Fair, established in 1924, is held in Langley every August. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Langley had a population of 959.

Clinton, another small town, is located on a high bluff overlooking Saratoga Passage, approximately six miles south of Langley. It was named for Clinton County, Michigan, by Edward C. Hinman, a Civil War veteran, who came from there in 1883, filing a timber claim. He built a hotel and a dock, supplying steamships with wood and water. The original landing and nearby post office was called Phinney, after John G. Phinney, an early settler. In 1885, the post office was moved to the Clinton Union Store and, in 1892, renamed the Clinton Post Office. Edward Hinman served as postmaster from 1885 to 1896 and his brother, Henry, from 1898 to 1903. Like other small communities in the area, Clinton’s economy depended primarily on logging, fishing, and farming. In the 1900s, touring became popular and the community received its fair share of tourists, campers, and summer dwellers. Because of the easy ferry commute between Clinton and Mukilteo, South Whidbey Island has become a minor bedroom community for Seattle and Everett, where the Boeing aircraft assembly plant is located. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in the year 2000, Clinton had a population 868.

Camano Island

Camano Island lies between Whidbey Island and the mainland of Snohomish County. The island, approximately 18 miles long, seven miles across at its widest point and less than one mile at its narrowest, has a total area of 39.8 square miles. It is connected to the mainland, two miles west of Stanwood, by the Mark C. Clark Memorial Bridge (State Route 532) across West Pass and Davis Slough, which is dry at low tides. Mark C. Clark (1896-1984) was a commanding general in the U.S. Army during World War II (1941-1945) and the Korean War (1950-1953). He had property on Camano Island and was there with his wife in the late 1940s when the bridge was being planned.

The earliest inhabitants of Camano Island were the Kikalos and Snohomish Indians who used the island during the summer while gathering seafood and berries. Their name for the island was reported as Kal-lut-chin, meaning "land jutting into a bay." The island was charted in 1841 by the Wilkes expedition as "McDonough’s Island” in honor of Master Commandant Thomas McDonough, captain of the USS Saratoga during the War of 1812. In 1847, Captain Kellett of the British Navy, in his effort to restore Spanish names to the area, renamed it Camano Island in honor of Spanish explorer Lieutenant Don Jacinto Camano. In the 1855 Point Elliott Treaty with 22 Puget Sound Indian tribes, Washington Territorial Governor Isaac Ingalls Stevens (1818-1862) referred to the island as Perry Island and local loggers, for no particular reason, called it Crow Island. But eventually the name Camano came into common use.

The first settlers came to Camano Island in 1855, filing timber claims. The island was densely forested with stands of tall, straight Douglas-firs perfect for masts and spars. Utsalady, on Utsalady Bay at the northern tip of the island, was the site of a shipyard and one of the largest sawmills on Puget Sound, founded in 1858 by Whidbey Island pioneers Thomas Cranney and Lawrence Grennan. "Utsalady" was a distortion of an Indian word also rendered as "Uts-ollaie," and said to mean "place of berries." After Grennan died in 1869, Cranney operated the mill alone until 1876, then sold it to Pope and Talbot’s Puget Mill Company. When a depression hit the United States in 1890, market gluts and poor prices caused the sawmill to close. The machinery was moved to Pope and Talbot’s mills at Port Gamble and Port Ludlow. Later farmers came and removed the stumps and developed the island agriculturally.

There were no towns on Camano Island, but steamboats serviced the small communities of Camano City and Mabana. A horse-drawn ferry operated between the island and Stanwood until a bridge was built in 1909. In the 1920s, tourism became popular and several auto-camps were established, followed by more elaborate resorts that rented cabins, boats, and fishing gear. In 1949, Washington State Parks and Recreation developed 134 acres of land on the west side of Camano Island, overlooking Saratoga Passage, for use as a state park. Today (2005) Camano Island is entirely a farming and residential community, well-known for its production of fruits and berries. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in the year 2000, Camano Island had a population 13,347.

Steamers and Car Ferries

In the early years, sailing ships and small steamers serviced Whidbey Island haphazardly. In 1906, Coupeville resident Captain Howard B. Lovejoy purchased the sternwheeler Fairhaven and ran on a schedule between Penn’s Cove and Seattle with stops at points on South Whidbey Island. In 1911, Lovejoy founded the Island Transportation Company, adding the steamers Atlanta, Clatawa, Calista, e Camano, and the community of Port Townsend to the scheduled service. Lovejoy’s company merged with the Sound Ferry Line, becoming the Whidbey Island Transportation Company.

Car ferries entered the picture in 1919, with the growing popularity of automobile touring. The first ferry in Island County especially designed to carry automobiles was the Whidbey I, operated by the Central Ferry Company between Clinton and Mukilteo. Then the car ferry Central I, was added, running between Clinton and Everett. The Whidbey Island Transportation Company soon entered into direct competition, running car ferries between Langley, Clinton, and Everett. In 1927, the Puget Sound Navigation Company, doing business as the Black Ball Line, bought out all the minor steamship companies servicing Island County, establishing its own routes and schedules. The Black Ball Line operated ferry service until 1951, when it was purchased by Washington State Ferries.

Island Economy

Today (2005) nearly 88 percent of all economic activity in Island County is directly and indirectly linked to the navy’s presence, which includes employment, payrolls, retiree pensions, health care, and purchases of goods and services from local vendors. The base employs more than 10,000 workers, constituting 68 percent of Island County’s total employment. The annual payroll earned by military and civilian workers is $399.1 million, constituting 52 percent of the county’s labor earnings. In addition, the school districts in Island County receive $4.5 million annually as compensation for schooling the dependents of service personnel.

Other important economic activities in the county are farming, fishing, tourism, real estate, and construction, which accounts for the largest percentage of retail sales. Buying property and building vacation homes on the islands has become exceedingly popular. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, between 1900 and 2000, Island County’s population grew from 1,870 to 71,558, an increase of 97.3 percent. Between 2000 and 2004, the county’s population increased 10.8 percent, to 79,293, a trend in growth predicted to continue. Many retired and self-employed people move to the county, attracted by the mild weather, beautiful scenery, recreational opportunities, rural settings, and a lower cost-of-living.

The State of Washington
Washington State Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation

Deception Pass Bridge, 1930s

Oak Harbor Wharf, Whidbey Island, ca. 1905

Courtesy UW Special Collections (Image No. WAS0714)

Colonel Isaac Neff Ebey (1818-1857)

Skagit canoes near Coupeville, 1895

Cortesia da Biblioteca do Congresso

Jersey cattle, Bash Farm, Oak Harbor, Whidbey Island, ca. 1895

Photo by D.R. Judkins, Courtesy UW Special Collections (WAS0499)

Oak Harbor, 1930s

Coupeville, 1930s

Blockhouse, Whidbey Island, 1940s

Maple Grove, Camano Island, 1950s

Ferry dock, Columbia Beach, Clinton, 1950s

Whid-Isle Inn (later The Captain Whidbey Inn), Penn Cove, Whidbey Island, 1950s


یواس‌اس کامانو (ای‌جی-۱۳۰)

یواس‌اس کامانو (ای‌جی-۱۳۰) (به انگلیسی: USS Camano (AG-130) ) یک کشتی بود که طول آن ۱۷۷ فوت (۵۴ متر) بود. این کشتی در سال ۱۹۴۴ ساخته شد.

یواس‌اس کامانو (ای‌جی-۱۳۰)
پیشینه
مالک
نام‌گذاری: ایالت واشینگتن
مشخصات اصلی
وزن: 550 tons
درازا: ۱۷۷ فوت (۵۴ متر)
پهنا: ۳۳ فوت (۱۰ متر)
آبخور: 10 ft
سرعت: 12 nós

این یک مقالهٔ خرد کشتی یا قایق است. می‌توانید با گسترش آن به ویکی‌پدیا کمک کنید.


  • Take a drive and listen to our new Audio Tour on your phone! This is a great way to to see the historic sites in person and learn interesting facts and stories along the way!
  • Watch our Video Toursof historic homes, schools, churches, barns and parks online from the comfort of your own living room!

Learn more about the Historic Sites on the Tour and find handy links to help you plan your trip to Stanwood and Camano Island when you come to experience the Audio Tour.

The annual Historic Sites Tour is a collaboration between volunteer organizations that are dedicated to preserving the history and community of Stanwood and Camano Island.


The strength of our leaders is reflected in the strength of our company. We&rsquore determined to uphold our founder&rsquos core values of integrity, quality, commitment, and innovation as we carry the legacy of John Deere leadership across our greater global communities.


Camano boats for sale

* This price is based on today's currency conversion rate.

Camano

Camano is a yacht builder that currently has 13 yachts for sale on YachtWorld, including 0 new vessels and 13 used yachts, listed by experienced yacht brokers mainly in the following countries: United States and Canada. Models currently listed on YachtWorld differ in size and length from 31 feet to 41 feet. Premiere models listed have motors up to an exceptional 500 horsepower, while affordable models for sale may have as low as 180 horsepower engines (although the average engine size across all of our current listings is 200 HP).

Type of yachts by Camano

This builder offers boat hull types including semi-displacement and other that are frequently used for traditional, time-honored boating pursuits such as overnight cruising. Camano equips models listed with inboard and inboard/outboard drive power options, available with diesel propulsion systems.

Often admired and relied upon for their Trawler and Cruisers, the Camano boats listed generally have a medium-depth draft and beam, qualities that make them popular and a great option for overnight cruising.

How much do Camano boats cost?

Camano boats for sale on YachtWorld are available for an assortment of prices from $78,228 on the moderate end of the spectrum, with costs all the way up to $420,424 for the highly-specialized, bespoke models.

What Camano model is the best?

Some of the most iconic Camano models currently listed include: Troll, 31, 31 Troll, 41 and Troll 31. Various Camano models are currently offered for sale by specialized yacht brokers, dealers and brokerages on YachtWorld, with listings ranging from 1995 year models up to 2006.


Camano Island State Park

Close to Seattle but a world away, Camano Island State Park offers a mellow, less bustling, but equally friendly alternative to its busier neighbor, Cama Beach State Park.

Forest loop trails provide cool, tranquil hiking, while shoreline strolls offer birding, shell and rock exploration and sweeping views of Puget Sound, Olympic Mountains and Mount Rainier.

Are you happiest in or on the water? Go boating, crabbing, saltwater fishing and sailboarding in Saratoga Passage. Curious about the restored 1930's fishing resort at Cama Beach? Hike the 1-mile trail to check out this neighboring state park.

After a fun day exploring the trails or cavorting in the water, you will probably want to kick back in your forested cabin, pitch your tent or get cozy in your RV. There, you can cook up the delicious crab you have caught, or your dinner of choice, and enjoy a bit of sublime R and R before heading back to the world.


Camano 31 Troll

Kurt Reynolds spent 24 years in the Navy, logging thousands of miles underwater as a submariner. It was an exciting life, performing a highly specialized mission in the technological marvel that is the modern sub.

“I probably have more miles under the water than most have on top of the water,” Reynolds says. “Or on land, for that matter.”

Not long ago, the 52-year-old information technology professional from Manteo, N.C., took on a different mission: exploring the coastal waters of his native North Carolina — on the water, not under — with his wife, Joanne. And instead of a submarine, they’ve used a 31-foot pocket trawler, the Canadian-built Camano Troll.

“I love the water, love to cruise,” says Reynolds, who grew up boating on the Outer Banks. “There’s nothing like a slow, quiet cruise on an isolated waterway with family and friends.”

Reynolds has owned a variety of boats over the years, from a boyhood 12-foot skiff to a 27-foot sloop to a 40-foot trawler, which he sold in 2005. When he started looking around for a boat to replace the big trawler a few years ago, he was drawn back to the type — but in a smaller size. He and his wife wanted a boat that could double as a comfortable cruiser for two and as a day boat for picnics and outings with family and friends.

Reynolds learned about the Camano online as he visited local broker websites, along with the bigger networks. With its size, amenities and single-engine economy, it stood out. The first Camano he found was close by, but the price wasn’t right. “So we expanded our search,” he says.

He found a 2002 Camano Troll in Deltaville, Md., and working with Annapolis Yacht Sales (www.annapolisyachtsales.com), he closed on a deal for a $100,000 purchase price. The trawler was in good condition. 𠇊s close to new as a 10-year-old boat could be,” Reynolds says, requiring only a cleaning, new batteries and an updated GPS/plotter.

𠇏or me, it’s about value and cost,” he says. “I got a good deal and a great value in the boat I bought.”

Power comes from a 210-hp Volvo diesel, and Reynolds cruises at 8 to 9 mph, with a top end of about 13 to 15 mph. “I am a cruiser,” he says. “[I like] slow and easy, and looking forward to a cold drink from the poop deck in the evening.”

Reynolds, who’s qualified to drive ships larger than 1,000 feet and 100,000 tons, admires the pocket trawler’s handling. 𠇌rossing Albemarle Sound north to south in a 20-knot north wind — actually crossing the Albemarle Sound in any wind — really tests your mustard,” he says. “She takes a sea well, not like a 50-ton Nordhavn but she is fuel-efficient and a great cruising boat for local waters.”

And that’s the mission: a summer of dayboating with friends and weeklong cruises for two. “The worst thing to have on a boat is a schedule,” Reynolds says.

With the versatile Camano, they can visit their favorite ports along the North Carolina coast — Columbia, Manteo, Coinjock — and “hang out with family and friends,” as Reynolds puts it. “Love the prime rib at Coinjock Marina restaurant … can’t be beat,” he adds. “It is always my first stop when heading south.”

Of course, there will be other boats. Reynolds has his eye on one of the big passagemakers — someday. But the 31-foot Camano Troll is a perfect fit for those looking to expand their cruising horizons. “[It’s made for] couples looking for a fuel-efficient overnight cruiser,” he says. “Lots of room, great driving from the flying bridge — and it won’t break your bank.”

The Powerboat Guide calls the Camano 31 “salty, efficient and surprisingly spacious.” Sold as the Camano 28 through 2002, the 31 Troll has a spacious interior featuring a large saloon with an L-shaped couch that converts to a berth and two standing chairs.

There is a lower helm to starboard with optional seating. The large trolley-style windows make the cabin light and airy. It is a step down to the C-shaped galley on the port side, equipped with a microwave, refrigerator and a three-burner cook top.

The compact head compartment is to starboard and comes with a marine head and a sink and a wand shower. The two-person stateroom is forward. There’s a large V-berth with shelf storage and a convenient hanging locker, along with an overhead hatch for ventilation.

The cockpit, with a transom door accessing the swim platform, is small, but the flybridge, reached by a ladder, has a helm station and additional seating. The wide side decks and sturdy rails are designed for working dock lines and moorings in safety.

Below the waterline, the displacement hull sports a full keel for stability and tracking. A bow thruster was standard equipment.

Vancouver naval architect Bob Warman founded the Camano brand in 1989 and ran the small builder before selling the company in 1997. The Camano 31 (sold as the Troll after 2002) earned a reputation as a spacious pocket trawler with a unique, efficient hull shape. The company underwent several changes in ownership, and the last 31 was built in 2011. Helmsman Trawlers of Seattle recently acquired the Camano name and tooling and now offers an updated 31. More than 250 boats were built by the original factory, making used models easy to find. Prices run from slightly less than $100,000 for early versions from the 1990s to $150,000 to $160,000 for late models.


Assista o vídeo: Scary teacher 3D in real life! Pranks over the teacher! (Dezembro 2022).

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos