Novo

Vista da Igreja Vahramashen e dos balneários em ruínas

Vista da Igreja Vahramashen e dos balneários em ruínas


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.


South Mountain Resorts

Aninhado nas encostas de South Mountain, alguns quilômetros a oeste de Reading, existem muitas estruturas imponentes pontuando o verde das florestas e clareiras das elevações que circundam o Vale do Líbano.

Para o estranho que dirige ao longo da Rota 422, esses prédios podem se assemelhar às ruínas de castelos medievais. Mesmo agora, e neste novo mundo que não tem castelos, esses edifícios revelam a grandeza de uma época anterior. Mas não foi a glória do poder feudal que essas estruturas elaboradas proclamaram. Sua nobreza estava em sua dedicação à restauração da saúde daqueles que sofriam dores e seu esplendor refletia os elevados propósitos dos homens da medicina que os construíram.

Cem anos atrás, a medicina não era a ciência exata que é hoje. O progresso em qualquer campo de estudo deve evoluir por meio da teoria e da experiência. Durante a segunda metade do século 19, muitas pessoas acreditavam que a cura para certas doenças poderia ser encontrada na esfera maior do clima da Natureza, ar fresco, água pura, exercícios e banhos de vários tipos. Para esses praticantes, a principal confiança não poderia ser colocada em formas processadas da natureza, como pílulas, injeções e outros materiais da medicina moderna. Isso não deve ser interpretado como significando que não havia conhecimento da medicina ou que os tratamentos modernos zombavam dos esforços dos praticantes anteriores. A mudança que conhecemos hoje é uma questão de grau de ênfase. Com o avanço da ciência laboratorial e da pesquisa médica, as curas de água & # 8220 & # 8221 ou hidropatia tornaram-se menos significativas no tratamento de doenças e os edifícios elaborados, perto de spas aquáticos e no topo das montanhas, caíram em desuso para tais fins.

A maioria dos resorts de saúde, conhecidos como sanatórios, estava localizada no segmento de South Mountain, que fica dentro do que hoje é o distrito de South Heidelberg, no condado de Berks. Wernersville era então, como agora, a comunidade mais próxima que tinha a vantagem do serviço ferroviário de passageiros frequentes e, nos primeiros dias, o transporte ferroviário era o principal meio de viagem entre pontos distantes. Desde o primeiro ano da inauguração da Estação Wernersville do ramal do Vale do Líbano da Estrada de Ferro Reading (1857) até o automóvel entrar em uso geral, todos os pacientes, hóspedes e cargas destinadas aos resorts South Mountain chegavam à estação de Wernersville. Várias centenas de convidados, chegando ou saindo em qualquer trem, era uma visão comum.

Os veteranos lembram que o contra-almirante Edwin Longenecker, um residente de Wernersville após sua aposentadoria (1912) de 45 anos de serviço na Marinha dos Estados Unidos, foi o recebedor não oficial de estranhos quando eles saíram dos vagões dos trens e então correram para esperando carruagens estacionadas perto da estação para levá-los aos resorts de sua escolha. O custo de uma viagem em carruagens puxadas por cavalos de Wernersville até a montanha era de 25 centavos por pessoa. As carruagens podiam acomodar de quatro a vinte passageiros.

Esses resorts eram conhecidos por vários nomes durante os três quartos de século em que funcionaram. Devemos designá-los, aqui, pelos nomes mais comumente aplicados perto do encerramento de suas operações, fornecendo um breve histórico de cada um dos principais estabelecimentos.

A primeira pessoa a ser atraída para South Mountain com o objetivo de estabelecer um centro de saúde foi o Dr. Charles E. Leisenring, natural da Alemanha. Ele tinha vindo para o sudeste da Pensilvânia com o único propósito de construir um sanatório. Depois de investigar as possibilidades em Ephrata, no condado de Lancaster e nas várias nascentes próximas à cidade de Reading, ele decidiu que esses pontos, embora bons, não podiam garantir-lhe o suprimento abundante de água de que precisava para seu empreendimento.

Cushion Hill em South Mountain se adequava ao propósito de Leisenring e # 8217s. Entre 1847 e 1855, ele construiu suas primeiras casas e cobriu as nascentes que encontrou em seu terreno recém-adquirido de 50 acres. Seu empreendimento era conhecido por vários nomes, o mais comum dos quais era & # 8220Cushion Hill Water Cure & # 8221 outro, & # 8220Cold Spring Water Cure & # 8221 e às vezes & # 8220Mountain Resort. & # 8221 Leisenring & # 8217s morte em junho de 1857 interromper a extensão de seus planos elaborados. O estabelecimento era operado por um & # 8220Mr. Adolphus & # 8221 (primeiro nome desconhecido) até 1865, quando a propriedade foi comprada pelo Dr. e Sra. Aaron Smith. O Dr. Smith e sua esposa se formaram na Escola de Hidropatia. Eles mudaram o nome do local para & # 8220Hygiean Home & # 8221 para distinguir seus propósitos da & # 8220 cura com água & # 8221 do Dr. Leisenring. Os Smiths introduziram muitas novas práticas, como massagens, & # 8220tratamentos elétricos & # 8221 e semelhantes. Eles expandiram os edifícios, adicionaram outros e operaram com sucesso de 1865 a 1873.

O Dr. Reuben D. Wenrich e o Dr. James W. Deppen, dois médicos locais, compraram a propriedade da propriedade Smith (1879), renomeando-a como Grand-View Sanatorium. O edifício principal (agora conhecido como Hotel) foi ampliado para acomodar 150 convidados.

Sua localização proporcionava uma vista magnífica do Vale do Líbano. O solário no sexto andar era fechado em vidro aqui, aqueles que sofrem de reumatismo, exaustão nervosa e outras doenças podiam tomar sol, garantindo os benefícios de um clima do sul.

As doenças tratadas eram principalmente as de caráter crônico, mas curáveis. Os médicos consideraram o clima especialmente útil para doenças catarrais, reumatismo, gota, prostração nervosa e problemas de fígado. Seus tratamentos, além dos médicos, incluíam massagens, eletricidade em várias formas, massagens com sal, banhos de vapor e enxofre.

A água & # 8220Pavilion Spring & # 8221 que provou ser mais benéfica para doenças renais, hepáticas e estomacais era bem conhecida. A água desta fonte foi vendida em quase todos os estados da união. Em 1890, o preço de 1 bbl., 40 galões, era $ 6,00 1/2 bbl., $ 3,50 1 caixa de garrafas de 12 1/2 galões, $ 2,70 5 galões em garrafas de 1/2 galão, $ 2,00, entregue f.o.b. Wernersville.

A Capela Grand-View (não sectária) é um belo edifício, construído em pedra calcária cinza, com vitrais, e tem capacidade para 100 pessoas sentadas. A capela é cercada por todos os lados por árvores perenes e dogwood, o que lhe confere um cenário muito pitoresco.

Após a morte do Dr. Deppen em 1895, o Dr. Wenrich continuou operando o & # 8220 Grand-View. & # 8221 Ele tinha como associados seus dois filhos, o Dr. George G. e o Dr. John A. Wenrich. O Dr. William F. Muhlenberg e o Dr. Daniel B. D. Beaver, de Reading, estavam consultando médicos e cirurgiões.

Este sanatório foi fechado após a morte do Dr. Reuben Wenrich & # 8217s em 1926. O edifício principal ainda está de pé, mas nunca mais foi ocupado como um resort de saúde. Hoje, a maior parte do Grand-View é propriedade de dois irmãos, Anthony e Sebastian Bodanza.

Drs. Walters e # 8217 Mountain Park

Durante o intervalo entre 1873, o fim da operação da Hygiean Home (Grand-View) pela família Smith & # 8217s e sua compra pelos drs. Wenrich e Deppen (1879), o resort foi alugado da propriedade de Smith pelo Dr. Robert Walter e sua esposa, Eunice, também médica.

Durante seu mandato de três anos no Hygiean Home, o Dr. Walter chegou à conclusão de que algum outro estabelecimento era necessário para combinar todas as suas idéias. Sua própria juventude foi passada como um inválido, forçado a mudar de uma instituição curativa para outra.

Em um ponto, em 1868, ele registrou que estava & # 8220 à beira da morte. & # 8221 Ele atribuiu sua própria recuperação a uma combinação de ar puro, água doce, exercícios, movimento sueco, massagem e aplicações elétricas de Vários tipos.

Em 1876, ele fundou a instituição que, por muitos anos, levou seu nome como Walter & # 8217s Park, em South Mountain, abaixo de Wernersville. Sobre seu método de tratamento, ele disse em 1909:

Este sistema de tratamento foi organizado pela primeira vez em Wernersville por mim mesmo e seu sucesso é mais bem declarado pelas inúmeras instituições em todo o país que adotaram o título e administraram o tratamento da melhor maneira que sabem. O Dr. Robert Walter era realmente um individualista. A inscrição que ele escreveu para sua lápide (localizada em Hain & # 8217s Church Cemetery, Wernersville) cinco anos antes de sua morte (1921) fornece uma visão sobre sua personalidade e crença: WALTER-Dr. Robert Walter, duas vezes paralisado e declarado irremediavelmente incurável, carregou uma chamada doença cardíaca por sessenta anos empobrecido pelo empirismo médico em 1873. Ele veio para Wernersville sobrecarregado com uma grande ideia, mas auxiliado por um nobre ajudante, iniciou um sistema de tratamentos de saúde inteiramente novos, com resultados de suprema importância para ele e 15.000 outras pessoas. Conseqüentemente, A VERDADEIRA IDEIA SANATÓRIA, o poder da vida derivável do paciente é o único poder de cura. Todos os medicamentos que parecem aumentar esse poder, em vez disso, reduzem-no pelo gasto e tendem a impedir a recuperação, ao mesmo tempo que parecem promovê-lo. Esta foi a conclusão de Walter & # 8217s após dez anos de experiência, agora confirmada por 50 anos & # 8217 de verificação. O justo viverá pela fé, a única base científica.

Na época de seu maior desenvolvimento, o Walter & # 8217s Park compreendia 500 acres de terreno montanhoso. O prédio principal tinha 300 pés de comprimento e cinco andares de altura. Construído como um castelo medieval, aconchegava-se nas encostas verdes da South Mountain, uma bela vista de qualquer ponto privilegiado do Vale do Líbano ao norte.

& # 8220 Sem malária, sem mosquitos, sem orvalho & # 8221 era um orgulho do Parque Walter & # 8217s. Muitos convidados ilustres procuraram seu abrigo, entre eles a viúva do General Stonewall Jackson e o grande estadista, William Jennings Bryan. O local era equipado com luz elétrica, elevador hidráulico, biblioteca circulante e estábulo de libré com cavalos de raça padrão para cavalgar. Piscina, bilhar, tênis, boliche, croquet e muitas outras diversões foram oferecidas aos hóspedes mais exigentes.

Após a morte do Dr. Walter, o & # 8220park & ​​# 8221 tornou-se propriedade de uma corporação que mudou o nome do local para & # 8220South Mountain Manor & # 8221 e por vários anos depois disso continuou a fornecer alguns dos serviços da antiga instituição tinha oferecido.

Nos anos mais recentes, tornou-se a sede de uma fraternidade esportiva, atraindo amantes da montanha das áreas metropolitanas próximas. Hoje é um & # 8220 elefante branco & # 8221 de propriedade de um fabricante têxtil da Filadélfia e seus associados.

The Preston

O resort de verão & # 8220Preston Sunny Side & # 8221 foi fundado pelo Dr. James S. Preston em 1880 e operado por seu filho James depois de 1882. Os edifícios eram de pedra e estrutura, três andares de altura e eram conectados por praças cobertas. Havia acomodações para 125 convidados. As praças tinham uma vista magnífica do vale de Lancaster. Os terrenos eram pitorescos e atraentes, compreendendo um extenso parque florestal. A montanha na parte de trás do resort que chegava até as portas era cravejada de grandes pinheiros, cedros e árvores de dogwood. Uma bela vista, principalmente na primavera do ano. O resort consistia em mais de 500 hectares, principalmente bosques. O observatório no topo da montanha apresentava um panorama, incluindo a visão mais completa dos vales Lancaster e do Líbano.

Em 1913, o Sr. e a Sra. Preston venderam seu resort para a Galen Hall Co., de Atlantic City, New Jersey. Foi consideravelmente ampliado e, desde então, é considerado um hotel de primeira classe. Este é o único resort em operação hoje em toda a montanha. É bem conhecido por seu belo e complicado campo de golfe, bem como por suas convenções realizadas na primavera e no outono. Uma das primeiras convenções que atraiu considerável atenção em todo o país foi realizada em 1915 pela indústria cinematográfica. Wernersville era um burburinho com os repórteres naquela época. Alguns dos participantes da convenção foram as estrelas do cinema Pearl White, Mabel Normand, Marguerite Clark, Francis X. Bushman, John Bunny, & # 8220Fatty & # 8221 Arbuckle - e ainda posso imaginar Mary Pickford dirigindo por Wernersville com seu noivo, Tom Moore, em seu roadster Stutz vermelho.

Sunset House

O Sr. Francis Grosch, que administrava um resort no condado de Schuylkill, construiu o & # 8220Mt. Sunset House & # 8221 em 1876. O resort tinha acomodações para 200 convidados. Mas Grosch, que era pedreiro de profissão, preferia seu ofício a operar um resort de verão. Assim, após vários anos, a gestão foi deixada para seu genro, Dr. Donald Moyer, um médico local. Após sua morte nos anos 20 & # 8217, o resort foi vendido ao Sr. George Gaul, que por muitos anos foi secretário do Sanatório Grand-View.

Sob a gestão do Dr. Moyer e do Sr. Gaul, o resort era conhecido por sua vista do pôr do sol e também por seus jantares de pato aos domingos. Hoje, o resort é conhecido como & # 8220Villa Maria & # 8221 e é usado como retiro e hospital para irmãs católicas idosas.

Belle Alto (que significa bela altura) no cume da South Mountain, oferece uma vista magnífica do Vale do Líbano e da cidade de Reading. Este resort, construído em pedra com suas amplas varandas nos três lados, era um dos lugares favoritos para o & # 8220Rocking Chair Set. & # 8221 Havia acomodações para 60 a 70 convidados. Em 1894, o Sr. E. Yenny comprou o resort, mas não teve muito sucesso em sua operação. Em 1898, o local foi vendido ao Sr. Samuel B. Keppel. Quando visitei a Sra. William Delp de Wernersville, filha do Sr. Keppel, notei uma grande pintura de Ben Atistrian (um artista da Reading) na sala de estar. A Sra. Delp me informou que a foto foi dada a seu pai como pagamento pelo quarto e pela mesa do artista. Seu nome apareceu várias vezes no registro de hóspedes.

O Sr. J. Howell Cummings, presidente da fábrica de chapéus Stetson, comprou o resort em 1905 e o usou como casa de verão. O Sr. Cummings morreu em 1927 e a família do Sr. James Sisk, de Reading, comprou a propriedade da propriedade em 1939.

Bynden Wood

Os registros do edifício que agora conhecemos como Bynden Wood são incompletos. Talvez algum estudante empreendedor de história local seja capaz de encontrar algumas respostas sólidas em detalhes. A mesma afirmação pode ser feita em relação às outras casas nas montanhas que não eram, principalmente, estâncias de saúde. Entre eles estavam Pomeroy & # 8217s, Highland House (agora conhecido como Chit-Chat), Hillside, Park Mansion (mais tarde Indiandale) e outros resorts na área de WernersvilleVinemont.

Bynden Wood foi originalmente construída em 1869 por John B. Stetson, o fundador de uma empresa de chapéus mundialmente famosa. Ele a construiu como uma casa de verão. A estrutura, que ele chamou de Bynden Wood, dava para áreas nos condados de Berks e Lancaster. Em 1888, a propriedade foi comprada por John Tolbert da Filadélfia. O Sr. Tolbert a usou como residência de verão até sua morte em 1896. Nos dois anos seguintes, foi usada como residência de verão pelo Sr. e Sra. William H. Luden de Reading. Em 1898, a propriedade foi convertida em um resort de verão e operada pelos herdeiros Tolbert.

Por volta da virada do século, a propriedade de Bynden Wood foi comprada pela Dra. Octavia Krum, que administrou o sanatório até sua morte. Miss Mary Morton, filha de Levi P. Morton, foi a próxima proprietária da propriedade. Durante sua propriedade, a estrutura foi usada como uma casa de verão privada. De 1932 a 1947, tornou-se novamente um resort de verão. Em 1947, a Fundação Wyomissing comprou a propriedade e a apresentou ao Central Y.M.C.A. em leitura. Atualmente está sendo usado como um centro cultural.

Os resorts de South Mountain, durante seu apogeu, forneceram emprego para muitas pessoas no oeste de Berks. Seu declínio coincidiu, com o tempo, com o rápido desenvolvimento da indústria têxtil nas áreas a oeste de Reading. E a maioria dos funcionários deslocados pelo fechamento dos sanatórios encontrou emprego pronto em outro lugar.

A ascensão, declínio e abandono dos resorts de saúde ao longo de South Mountain é história. Os vestígios de seu dia de glória ainda podem ser vistos e os caminhos arborizados, fontes frescas e vistas magníficas ainda podem ser apreciados hoje.

Este artigo foi publicado originalmente na edição da primavera de 1962 da The Historical Review of Berks County.


Caminhantes na cidade em ruínas

A vida de um antiquário renascentista estava longe de ser simples. Em abril de 1436, quando Cyriac de Ancona chegou a Atenas, ele ficou emocionado ao ver o Partenon pela primeira vez, o & lsquomarvellous templo de mármore da deusa Pallas, a obra divina de Phidias & rsquo. Ele contou suas colunas, admirou seus frisos e comentou sobre a arte com que Fídias representou a batalha dos Centauros e Lápitas. Ele até mesmo esboçou o edifício no local. Apenas uma cópia justa de seu esboço sobreviveu. Omite detalhes importantes, mas transmite a impressão poderosa que o edifício causou nele. Transportado em espírito ao mundo antigo, Cyriac desenhou apenas os componentes antigos do edifício. Ele ignorou a torre do sino e outras adições que registraram sua conversão em uma igreja cristã. Revisitando Atenas em 1444, ele se tornou o primeiro escritor latino em séculos a chamar a Acrópole por seu nome próprio. Em dias bons, o mundo antigo vivo parecia quase ao alcance.

Em 1447, entretanto, quando Cyriac visitou Esparta, ele encontrou o & lsquoancient gymnasium & hellip em grande parte caído e destruído pela devastação do tempo e pela negligência preguiçosa dos habitantes posteriores & rsquo. Embora gostasse de copiar algumas inscrições interessantes & lsquo em suas escritas gregas muito precisas & rsquo, a maior parte do que viu o deixou deprimido. As nobres cidades dos antigos estavam em ruínas. E se era trágico que os templos e suas estátuas tivessem caído, sua condição revelava algo ainda pior: a raça humana havia perdido sua antiga virtude. Apenas um encontro com um jovem espartano o animou. O homem era famoso por ter saltado uma vez sobre um javali enquanto caçava, antes de matá-lo com força total & rsquo. Quando chegaram a um rio, ele carregou Cyriac e o colocou em segurança do outro lado. Aparentemente, a virtude espartana ainda não estava morta.

Nas histórias de fantasmas de M.R. James, os antiquários são mais secos do que poeira: é necessário um ataque de um ghoul centenário para fazê-los explodir em um ponto de tut-tuttery moderado. Na realidade, eles eram criaturas voláteis. Uma visita a qualquer local antigo, mas especialmente Roma - talvez a maior massa de ruínas antigas em um lugar em qualquer lugar do mundo & ndash poderia encher um antiquário de deleite ou desespero, ou ambos ao mesmo tempo. O desespero não foi apenas uma resposta à degradação histórica, mas às perdas no presente. Nas décadas de meados do século 15, enquanto Poggio Bracciolini, Leon Battista Alberti e outros mapeavam as regiões de Roma e identificavam seus edifícios, os secretários papais registravam cuidadosamente os pagamentos feitos & lsquofor removendo travertinos do Coliseu & rsquo. Em 1462, o humanista Papa Pio II emitiu uma bula proibindo a remoção de ruínas e a queima de mármores antigos para cal. Outros papas seguiram seu exemplo. Como David Karmon mostrou há algum tempo, o movimento para conservar sítios antigos em seu estado atual nasceu nos mesmos anos em que os antiquários temiam que Roma estivesse consumindo sua própria substância para alimentar seu renascimento.

Susan Stewart e rsquos A Lição das Ruínas conta a história desses antiquários e o que aprenderam com as ruínas que os obcecavam. A sensibilidade deles, como ela mostra, era antiga. Na época de Augusto, quando Roma se tornou uma cidade de mármore, os poetas olharam para trás com tristeza, para a simplicidade perdida dos tempos anteriores e para o futuro com otimismo, quando séculos de vento e chuva teriam eliminado as grandes pirâmides de pedra e inscrições de bronze. mas não, eles se gabavam, seus próprios versos. Eles não foram os primeiros nem os últimos a reformular as ruínas como um assunto para poesia. Quase dois mil anos antes deles, o oficial egípcio Sarenput I descreveu um santuário decadente: & lsquoIt paredes se foram, sua forma obscura até mesmo para uma testemunha ocular & hellip Cada câmara estava cheia de destroços. & Rsquo Várias centenas de anos depois dos augustanos, o autor do Antigo Poema inglês conhecido como Gênesis A admirou o brilho dos romanos que criaram as maravilhas de Aquae Sulis (Bath): & lsquoMente acelerada e um homem de espírito / astuto em anéis, amarrou bravamente a base de parede / com ferro, uma maravilha . & rsquo Sarenput reconstruiu as ruínas que descreveu com tanta melancolia, ordenando novos santuários para si e para o santuário & rsquos dedicatee. O autor de Gênesis A provavelmente deixou as ruínas que admirava em seu estado destruído. Os escritores viram ruínas com emoções de todo tipo, da nostalgia à Schadenfreude e da pena ao prazer.

Eles também dotaram templos caídos e grutas encantadoras de habitantes imaginários - acima de tudo mulheres, da Polia, o elusivo objeto de amor do grande romance antiquário, o Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, para as ninfas adormecidas cujas estátuas adornavam os jardins da Renascença. Muitos antiquários tinham predileção por meninas que morriam romanticamente, como a jovem nobre romana encontrada em um sarcófago na Via Ápia em 1485. Seu corpo foi levado ao Monte Capitolino, onde atraiu enxames de curiosos, incluindo artistas que queriam gravar sua beleza e um alquimista que analisou o gel de embalsamamento que a preservou intacta. Depois de alguns dias, o papa & ndash talvez desagradou com a semelhança entre a reverência dada ao corpo dela e aquela concedida aos santos & ndash fez com que o cadáver fosse levado embora e enterrado. No entanto, poetas e artistas continuaram, como mostra Stewart, a associar ruínas a jovens mulheres milagrosamente perfeitas, com sua "forma" paradoxalmente livre da vida e do mal ". Templos em colapso apareciam regularmente perto de uma virgem em particular & ndash Mary & ndash nas pinturas da Natividade: & lsquoAs ruínas de Pagan permanecem como testemunhas mudas e humilhadas das realizações cristãs. & Rsquo

Roma foi a capital do país dos antiquários, e o que os historiadores agora estranhamente chamam de período moderno inicial, do século 15 ao 18, foi seu apogeu. Os visitantes de Roma na Idade Média já se maravilhavam com os restos mortais da cidade, auxiliados então como agora por guias turísticos que mesclavam ficção implausível com comentários inteligentes. O popular Mirabilia Urbis Romae estava cheio de erros em todas as páginas. Mas deixou claro que Roma era uma cidade em ruínas. Um visitante devidamente atento ainda pode ver vestígios de seus antigos tesouros perdidos: a beleza do telhado do Panteão & rsquos, que uma vez foi & lsquoall coberto com telhas de latão dourado, tanto que de longe parecia uma montanha de ouro & hellip ainda é discernido em parte & rsquo. A nostalgia renascentista pelos esplendores perdidos da Roma imperial não era totalmente nova.

Nem foram os esforços da Renascença para reviver a cidade antiga. Cola di Rienzo, que se propôs a restaurar a República Romana em meados do século XIV, decifrou as palavras inscritas em uma placa de bronze na Basílica de Latrão. Este foi o assim chamado lex de imperio Vespasiani, que afirmou e confirmou os poderes do imperador do primeiro século que deu a Roma mictórios públicos (amigos meus que se lembram da emoção de mijar, quando meninos, no tradicional metal Vespasiani ainda lamentam o seu desaparecimento). Cola achava que esse documento provava que o povo romano havia conferido poder aos imperadores. Seus esforços práticos terminaram em fracasso e morte. Mas sua crença de que a Roma antiga poderia fornecer modelos e símbolos políticos foi retomada continuamente, por meio da reordenação da cidade por Mussolini no século XX.

O antiquarianismo cresceu a partir dessas práticas e crenças de longa data. Mas no século 15, o estudo do passado antigo assumiu duas formas novas e conectadas. Ambos foram incorporados em textos e imagens, e ambos são importantes para Stewart. Por um lado, estudiosos e artistas passaram a ver as ruínas de Roma como uma fonte histórica. Emmanuel Chrysoloras, um digno e eloquente erudito bizantino de Constantinopla (a Nova Roma), ensinou grego em Florença no final do século XIV. Uma vez na Velha Roma, ele correu de colina em colina para obter vistas da cidade e dos aquedutos e pórticos, banhos e teatros da cidade. Em uma comparação parcial das duas cidades, ele descreveu o valor histórico dos arcos triunfais e colunas imperiais de Roma. Seus frisos representavam a Roma antiga e seus inimigos em detalhes vívidos e abrangentes: festivais religiosos e sacrifícios, batalhas no mar e na terra, armas e máquinas de guerra, eram & lsquorepresentados como se estivessem vivos pelas imagens & rsquo. Heródoto e outros historiadores & lsquoseem ter feito algo bastante útil & rsquo, admitiu Chrysoloras, formulando cuidadosamente o menor elogio que pôde encontrar. Mas o poder e a durabilidade da arte antiga permitiram ao antiquário ver o passado à sua frente. As antiguidades & lsquem-nos conhecimento de testemunhas oculares de tudo o que aconteceu como se estivesse presente & rsquo.

A história era importante nos séculos 15 e 16: ela oferecia aos príncipes a orientação de que precisavam para travar batalhas, governar estados e realizar missões diplomáticas. Grandes homens & ndash Leonardo Bruni, o rico chanceler de Florença Pio II, o espirituoso papa humanista Lorenzo Valla, o brilhante filólogo & ndash escreveram histórias. Os antiquários, no entanto, podiam alegar que haviam criado uma forma especial de disciplina. A maioria dos historiadores antigos, e muitos de seus imitadores da Renascença, acreditavam que a história era mais profunda e reveladora quando foi escrita a partir da experiência de uma testemunha ocular ou testemunho ocular. De repente, os antiquários começaram a argumentar que eles próprios poderiam testemunhar a história de Roma em seu apogeu.

Mas muitos antiquários, como mostra Stewart, também buscaram de uma maneira muito diferente a história em ruínas, e essa segunda forma de saber a preocupa mais. Suas fileiras incluíam artistas e acadêmicos, e alguns deles eram artistas à sua maneira: Poggio era um escriba mestre e Alberti um arquiteto pioneiro. Esses homens sabiam ler os edifícios, componente por componente, para descobrir os princípios estéticos que orientaram seus criadores. Eles também ficaram fascinados com a maneira como as estruturas e as obras de arte mudavam ao longo do tempo. Eles lamentaram, é claro, que os romanos modernos tivessem transformado o Coliseu em uma pedreira. Mas eles sabiam que construtores gananciosos e operários ignorantes não eram os únicos responsáveis ​​por essa destruição. Cada parede, aqueduto, basílica ou teatro esteve envolvido desde sua criação em uma luta brutal e sem fim contra o dente do tempo. Isso foi incorporado ao clima que desgastou as pedras e fez as paredes desabarem, nos arbustos e árvores que cresceram sobre grandes estruturas como a Pirâmide de Céstio, e na terra que se acumulou até que a forma básica da cidade ficou irreconhecível. Essas lutas os horrorizaram e obcecaram.

Um antiquário habilidoso precisava ser capaz de rastrear os longos processos de violência natural e humana que transformavam as estruturas em ruínas. Quando Poggio inspecionou as paredes da Roma antiga, ele encontrou casas construídas nelas e janelas entalhadas nelas. Nos lugares onde haviam desabado, ele podia ver que eram compostos, em parte feitos de fragmentos de mármore, em parte de tijolos tão bem polidos que pareciam vasos. Em outros lugares, eles eram tão frágeis e podres que estavam prestes a cair sem serem tocados. Havia, ele descobriu, & lsquono forma única de construção, mas é variada em vários lugares, de modo que é claro que as paredes não foram feitas ao mesmo tempo ou pelo mesmo arquiteto & rsquo.

Ele usou suas descobertas para compor um novo tipo de história - uma em que paredes aparentemente sólidas e basílicas aparentemente antigas nem sempre eram instantâneos de pedra, mas compostos de materiais de períodos muito diferentes. No início do século 16, os antiquários podiam contar a história de Roma em uma nova chave. Eles seguiram a degeneração gradual do gosto e da habilidade, que afetou a escultura antes da arquitetura. Raphael e Castiglione, examinando o Arco de Constantino, distinguiram sua composição, que eles acharam "bonita e bem executada", de suas decorações, que eram "espantosas, sem qualquer habilidade ou bom design" exceto pela espolia de períodos anteriores e melhores. Os antiquários eram críticos, até julgadores, e suas fortes convicções estéticas geraram as primeiras histórias culturais. A resistência aos poucos passou a ter um significado próprio para eles. Os especialistas começaram a entender o que Alois Riegl mais tarde chamaria de & lsquouse value & rsquo de edifícios em ruínas: o valor & lsquoed ao continuar no tempo & rsquo, que pode dar até mesmo à ruína mais danificada e ininteligível o poder de mover seus visualizadores. Patrocinadores e arquitetos alertas, como Karmon mostrou, traçaram a moral e começaram a tentar preservar, em vez de substituir as estruturas decadentes.

No século 16, as imagens tornaram-se a forma padrão de registrar os anos de danos. Dois tipos de arte gráfica de antiquário interessam particularmente a Stewart e constituem os temas centrais de seu livro - as obras dos artistas do século 16 que se especializaram em registrar ruínas romanas e as de Giovanni Battista Piranesi dois séculos depois. Piranesi tinha muito em comum com esses artistas anteriores: um interesse obsessivo nos menores detalhes das ruínas romanas, até as plantas que cresciam entre elas um domínio de técnicas (gravura e gravura) que exigia de seus praticantes atacar placas de metal e desfigurá-las, tanto quanto o próprio tempo havia feito para seus temas e um fascínio pelos habitantes modernos de ruínas antigas & ndash as figuras, quase sempre em trajes contemporâneos, que convidavam os espectadores a contemplar as cenas, forneciam-lhes um senso de escala e às vezes faziam muito mais. No entanto, suas práticas e seu impacto diferiram amplamente.

No século 16, artistas como Eacutetienne Dup & eacuterac registraram sistematicamente ruínas de Roma e rsquos em desenhos e gravuras. Stewart descreve suas gráficas, agrupadas perto da Piazza Navona. Mestres e jornaleiros cobriram os principais locais romanos em série após série de imagens. Em seu trabalho, & lsquowhat poderia ter sido pano de fundo & ndash as formas arquitetônicas arruinadas & ndash torna-se o primeiro plano e um objeto de atenção para as figuras dentro da cena. & Rsquo Os espectadores aprenderam a ver & lsquothe história que está ao seu redor & rsquo & ndash uma história complexa que se moveu em mais de uma direção. Dup & eacuterac e seus rivais deixaram claro, ao retratarem a criação do Tempietto e da nova basílica de São Pedro & rsquos, como a construção pode se assemelhar à destruição.

& lsquo Oitava vista do Coliseu & rsquo por Hieronymus Cock (1550)

Mas os artistas gráficos do século 16 que mais fascinam Stewart são aqueles que vieram dos Países Baixos, como Maarten van Heemskerck e Hieronymus Cock. Van Heemskerck learned the dialectics of construction and demolition in Trastevere and on the Forum. He drew the changing cityscape that he saw, as old buildings vanished and half-finished new ones loomed, with drama and precision. Cock, by contrast, may not have visited Rome, though the title of his first series of Roman prints claimed that they rested on first-hand observation. What matters most, for Stewart, are the preoccupations they shared. Both were fascinated by violence itself, she argues, as well as by its effects on buildings, and this interest gave Cock&rsquos works in particular a distinctive and influential texture. His first set of Roman views came with a dedication to his patron, Cardinal de Granvelle. Written by the humanist Cornelius Grapheus, it posed a frightening question: if the rage of barbarians and the abyss of time had ruined Rome, how could one hope that any kingdom would survive? In keeping with this sentiment, Cock portrayed Rome&rsquos ruins not as neatly labelled model works of classical architecture, as some of his rivals did, but in &lsquofrail, vegetation-damaged, almost drooping images&rsquo. Every arch was broken, every stone ended in a jagged line from which plants sprouted. In Cock&rsquos work, as in others, small figures held lively discussions about the ruins. Sometimes, however, they menaced one another with robbery or rape. He turned a ruined arch under the Colosseum, a fornix in Latin, into a scene of fornication (and of force).

Stewart scents allegory here. The owner of such a drawing or print might tease out connections to events in Cock&rsquos own world that had focused his attention on force and destruction &ndash an &lsquoallusion&rsquo, for example, &lsquoto the brutality of the Sack of Rome or the Spanish occupation of the Netherlands&rsquo. The latter suggestion, at least, seems unlikely: Cock drew the Colosseum in 1550, while the Spanish didn&rsquot occupy the Low Countries until 1556. But Stewart&rsquos perceptive readings of Cock&rsquos prints make clear how powerfully force preoccupied him. In later decades, after Spanish armies and local iconoclasts and rebels had spread terrifying scenes of destruction across the Netherlands, his Roman prints helped inspire Galle, Coornhert and others to create their own, more visibly allegorical suites of images of biblical history. They emphasised, as he had, &lsquothe decay of materials and the continuity of human action&rsquo, which they used to teach theological and moral lessons. Ruin landscapes in the north demanded more than reading from their viewers. They called for a hermeneutical approach that could detect the fall and redemption of humanity in the layers revealed by the collapse of a building. Illustrating Luther&rsquos Bible, Cranach had portrayed the fall of Babylon as the fall of Rome, with flames about to consume the Mausoleum of Hadrian. In the mid-century world, divided by religious war, antiquarian images of Rome&rsquos ruins formed part of the foundation for a profound new visual theology.

Piranesi was no theologian. But Stewart&rsquos treatment of his work reveals both his debt to the accomplishments of his predecessors and the vast and distinctive energy of his imagination. Ruins preoccupied him from the start, and from the start he found new ways to represent them. On the title page of his first book, the title itself appears as a fallen inscription, lying aslant the picture plane, overshadowed by an obelisk and surrounded, even overwhelmed, by other ruins and vegetation. The words furthest from the viewer are hard to pick out. But the author&rsquos name is clear, and that of his dedicatee even clearer. Inspired in part by the greatest scenic artists of his time, the Galli Bibiena family, Piranesi staged ruins with a theatrical flair that none of his predecessors could have matched. He demonstrated that it was not easy to see them as they were.

&lsquoAppian Way&rsquo (1756) by Piranesi

He also sought a high degree of precision, which he attained in various ways. He clambered up wooden scaffolds and spelunked in cryptoporticuses in order to measure buildings exactly. He devised methods for representing the diverse textures of brick, travertine and flint, and copied inscriptions with scrupulous care. At the same time, his capacious imagination was always at work, opening up the seemingly inhuman spaces of his Prisons. The skulls and sarcophagi, sphinx and herm that litter his four early grotesque plates suggest allegory: was he alluding, as Maurizio Calvesi argued long ago, to the four ages into which Giambattista Vico had divided historical time, using a visual form of cultural history to illustrate a verbal one? A 1756 image of the Appian Way jumbles busts and obelisks, the statue of the she-wolf that nourished Romulus and Remus, and tombs for Piranesi himself and other living antiquaries into a single wild mélange, in which everything, as Stewart shows, is antique although &lsquonothing is factual.&rsquo This was antiquarianism as late baroque fantasy. Yet Piranesi, as Heather Hyde Minor has shown, compiled massive, splendid illustrated books, in which he engaged in detail with the traditions of antiquarian scholarship.

Piranesi put all these skills at the service of a historical thesis: the Etruscan origins of Roman culture, which he traced through minute study of the ancient stone plan of the city, the fragmentary Forma Urbis Romae, and wild imaginative leaps. But he also used them to show, with startling expressiveness, what Rome&rsquos remains actually looked like. He made the ancient buildings reveal themselves as seen from the worm&rsquos eye view of a walker in the ruined city, and &ndash brilliantly gifted at portraying clouds and smoke &ndash he evoked the experience of seeing Rome&rsquos ruins, and its trees, against a night sky. He populated the ruins not with disputatious antiquarians or dangerous characters but with the beggars and other marginal people who actually lived in them. When visitors made their Italian journeys in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, they saw Rome&rsquos ruins through Piranesi&rsquos eyes. No one did more to bring out the beauty of the unfinished and the broken, which would become core parts of a new literature and art.

T he Ruins Lesson makes one point above all: there was no single dominant way of observing ancient ruins and portraying what remained. Jessica Maier&rsquos The Eternal City: A History of Rome in Maps provides a rich complementary account. No Civilisation and Its Discontents, Freud, antiquarian of the mind and connoisseur of archaeology, argued that it would be impossible to trace the history of Rome&rsquos development on a single map. The temples and buildings of Republican Rome were now only ruins, and not &lsquoruins of themselves but of later restorations&rsquo. These in turn were &lsquodovetailed into the jumble of a great metropolis which has grown up in the last few centuries since the Renaissance&rsquo. The church of Santa Maria sopra Minerva occupied the ground once devoted to the Temple of Minerva the Pantheon of Hadrian filled the space where the original one built by Agrippa once stood. The task of depicting them, or even placing them on a map, was hopeless: &lsquoThe same space cannot have two different contents.&rsquo

Happily, the scholars and artists whose works Maier surveys hadn&rsquot read their Freud. For centuries, as she shows, mapmakers and miniaturists, antiquarians and cartographers set out to do exactly what he thought impossible: to represent at least in part not only the city of Rome, but some of the ways in which it had changed over time. Their approaches were as varied as their skills. Some, looking down at Rome from the hills of Lazio, saw the medieval city of towers, like a stone forest others, as they scanned the city, spotted ancient temples and sculptures or later churches and monasteries and ignored the spaces between them. As popes and other patrons drove long, straight streets through the alleys and arcades that had made old neighbourhoods impassable, as the city itself revived from late medieval depopulation and the Sack of 1527, Rome&rsquos urban form became increasingly coherent and legible.

Leonardo Bufalini in the mid-16th century and Antonio Tempesta fifty years later produced bird&rsquos-eye views of a city crammed with modern palaces and markets as well as ancient monuments. Inspired in part by Bufalini, Bartolomeo Marliani and Pirro Ligorio recreated the ancient city. Marliani, a model of epistemic and artistic modesty, worked up a precise but skeletal recreation of late imperial Rome, which he marked off by topographical features and the ground plans of major buildings. Ligorio crafted something completely different: a magnificently busy array of circuses, temples and housing that packed the Aurelian walls. Even the anonymous buildings that filled otherwise empty areas were picked out in plausible and exciting architectural detail. &lsquoThrough sheer abundance,&rsquo Maier writes, &lsquohe also gives a sense of the city as a living, breathing space.&rsquo As did Piranesi in his plan of the Campus Martius &ndash a busy, crowded map &lsquoreplete with figments of his brilliant imagination&rsquo, which took off from the surviving fragments of the ancient marble city plan, and which he represented as if inscribed on a massive but partly broken stone slab. Some scholars, such as the Dutch geographer Paulus Merula, even found ingenious ways to map change over time. Omitting most buildings from the plan he drew up in the 1590s, he depicted the walls of the original, tiny city, Roma Quadrata, the Servian Wall of the fourth century bce and the late antique Aurelian Wall as if they had all coexisted. By juxtaposing them, he showed the city&rsquos growth over time in a simple, vivid way. Maier&rsquos protagonists had little interest in &lsquouse value&rsquo. Their Rome was defiantly imperial: grand, lively and largely untouched by time. Yet it too was an imagined beauty, painstakingly reconstructed.


Ranch of the Friends: The Extraordinary Evolution of the L.A. County Poor Farm

I have officially been to one of the most fascinating places in Los Angeles County. No, it is not the new branch of Soho House about to open in DTLA, or that private club in the Staples Center everyone is always talking about. In fact, this place is deserted except for clutters of cats and was never the stomping ground of anyone rich or famous (unless they were there for a photo opportunity). But the L.A. County Poor Farm, later known as Rancho Los Amigos, was an exclusive club of sorts. It was a place of refuge for the destitute, the infirm, the addicted, and the elderly. It was a revolutionary concept when it opened in 1888, but since the late 1980s it has been left to become a ghost town. A ghost town whose lush overgrown grounds whisper of the comfort that many lost souls once found beneath its shaded trees.

The old Poor Farm campus is in Downey, right off the Imperial Highway. It is on the south side of the highway, while its grandchild, the still very active Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center, straddles the north side. After some confusion, my friend and I located the abandoned complex, which appears for all the world like a lovely college campus that was quickly deserted due to some sudden disaster. We parked in front of the old administration building, alone except for two construction workers lying in the grass, eating their lunch in front of a condemned cottage. We explored the campus and found an abandoned church, a large Craftsman mansion (once the superintendent's home) with boarded up windows, a vine covered Spanish-style complex (once the women's ward), an empty auditorium, a giant laundry building, row upon row of patient housing that form streets like a Wild West movie set, a giant graffiti covered water tank, a bus stop, occupational therapy buildings, and wide green fields and concrete yards covered in trespassers' recent debris -- including an oddly ironic bottle of non-alcoholic O'Doul's.

Then there were the cats -- everywhere there were cats. On the boarded up doors, there were signs reading DO NOT FEED THE CATS, but we saw many multicolored cat dishes, proving this rule is not strictly enforced. Occasionally a jogger or a Rehab Center employee on a lunch break would pass by us, and the numerous broken windows and overturned office chairs led us to believe that there were probably some unfortunate souls sleeping the day away in the condemned buildings. The grounds were beautiful and fragrant and the leaves rustled a soothing rhythm. I say this not to whitewash the place, but rather to say that walking along the forgotten streets we did not feel like we were in the midst of lingering, unbearable suffering or institutional agony. We thought of all the homeless people trapped in the gritty hell of downtown L.A., and wished that somehow this peaceful place could become a refuge once again.

As Remarkable as a Waltz in the Midst of a Fast Day

Before it even officially became part of the United States in 1850, California had a large-scale humanitarian crisis brewing. Thousands of single men had rushed to the state in search of gold in 1848, only to find nothing but back-breaking labor and meager incomes. As these kinless men aged, they became destitute -- unable to work because of health problems or lack of education. The 1870s brought a flood of already ill people, lured to California by books like "California for Health, Pleasure and Residence," which promised an atmosphere "so pure" that it could cure almost any infirmity. These people, often from middle or lower class backgrounds, usually found themselves still ill, without networks of family and friends to support them. By the boom time 1880s, the L.A. County Hospital (opened in 1858) was overrun with such patients, along with more recent indigent arrivals via the newly constructed Santa Fe Railroad.

In 1887, the L.A. County Board of Supervisors decided to build a new institution that would house homeless, able-bodied "inmates" in a bucolic rural setting. That August, the county purchased 124.4 acres of farmland in unincorporated L.A. County, near the small town of Downey. The land was cleared and roadways were built. Shading trees were planted along with roses and other fragrant flowers. The original campus (situated approximately where the auditorium is today) featured three main buildings. An all-purpose Victorian style wooden building housed the kitchen, a reading room, trunk room, offices, and bedrooms for employees. Flanking this building were identical men's and women's wards, made of mesa brick, with long porches where inmates could "enjoy the evening breeze, smoke a clay pipe (supplied by the Farm), or take an afternoon nap in a rocking chair." 2 (Centennial, pg. 26) A working farm was also cultivated, to supply the inmates both at the farm and County Hospital with food. The excess was sold at market to defray the institution's cost.

The first inmates were moved to the farm in December 1888. There were already around ninety men and women living at the farm in March 1888 when Dr. Edwin L. Burdick, a physician with farming experience, was hired as superintendent. By 1892, the L.A. Times reported:

Over the next 12 years, under Dr. Burdick's leadership, the County Poor Farm grew into one of L.A.'s most lauded projects. As more buildings were built, it became a catchall institution, with wards for patients afflicted with mental illness, asthma, alcoholism, syphilis and physical disabilities. Most residents were elderly, and some were expected to stay only until they were well enough to work again. These men and women often performed light duties around the farm and were paid a small sum to take charge of the chickens or tend to sicker inmates. Then there were the inmates Dr. Burdick simply diagnosed with "old age," like a 100-year-old man from Britain who had fought in the battle of Waterloo. 4 Though most of the inmates had been poor laborers, there were exceptions like William Willmore, a once prosperous developer of what would become Long Beach, and James Eastman, a highly respected lawyer whose life had been ruined by alcoholism. While Willmore's friends eventually rescued him, no one came to Eastman's aid, and he was buried in the farm's (now lost) cemetery.

The farm became a popular place for the more fortunate to visit. Ladies' charity groups, the Chamber of Commerce, and health advocates from all over the country visited the farm to get ideas, hear lectures, and enjoy the farm's "novel" setting. A journalist visiting in 1902 described it thusly:

Though the story paints a rosy picture, there were darker tales as well. There were occasional reports of inmate mistreatment. There were also stories of despondent residents like George Deacin, who drowned himself in a nearby river, and Bud Lewis, the farm's bread cutter, who jumped out of a window during a heated discussion. Concerns grew louder after Burdick retired. The farm suffered a series of lackluster superintendents. In 1911, a grand jury investigation resulted in mandated sweeping changes. These included fair distribution of food, clean and well lit wards, and "humane and kindly treatment" of inmates, with the promise that "any case of unnecessary force of violence on the part of employees is punished by instant dismissal." 6 Despite mismanagement, the 400-acre working farm (tended mostly by civilian labor) prospered, the orange crop alone bringing in $13,000 in 1909. This led one scribe to joke, "'Down to the County Poor Farm' is all a mistake, it should be 'Down to the County Rich Farm!'" 7

A Ranch, a Hospital and a Home

In 1915, a new superintendent arrived who would transform the farm into a world class rehabilitation hospital and tight knit "small town," made up of thousands of patients, employees and their families. William Ruddy Harriman was only 26 years old when he and his wife, Elinor, moved into the large house reserved for the superintendent. A brilliant and kind man, Harriman had the personal touch that makes a born leader -- he memorized the name of every employee and patient ( he preferred the term patient to inmate) and told all he met to "Just call me Bill." 10 He was also firm in his beliefs about how the institution should be run, writing, "Cleanliness, sobriety and respect for the rights of the others are encouraged, and where necessary, enforced." 11 Hoping to erase the stigma of being a "poor farm," Harriman had the farm's name changed to Hondo (for the Rio Hondo, which ran through the property) in 1918. The area encompassing the County farm at Hondo was officially a town with its own post office it would not be absorbed into Downey until the 1950s.

Over the first decade and a half of Harriman's reign numerous improvements were made to the farm. A new administration building, auditorium, infirmary buildings, medical offices, men's and women's psychopathic wards, additional housing for staff and patients, and bathhouses were built. Relationships with charitable groups were encouraged, early physical and occupational therapy was introduced, and the patient's social life was expanded with frequent motion picture shows, musical events, and arts and crafts. The farm itself continued to flourish, winning prizes for its milking cows and valuable Belgian and Percheron draft horses. By 1929, the average number of patients staying on the farm was around 1,900. 12 Increasing numbers of bedridden patients were being brought over from the county hospital. Able-bodied patients could participate in furniture making, work at the printing press, or play sports. Employees also lived at the farm and formed baseball teams, basketball teams, musical groups, and social clubs.

The Depression slammed into the county farm at Hondo. As funding dried up, the patient population exploded, necessitating the construction of a tent city that would be used for decades. In 1932, as the farm increasingly turned towards rehabilitation and medicine, the farm's name was changed to Ranchos Los Amigos -- "ranch of the friends." By 1934, Rancho Los Amigos had grown to 540 acres, with around 2,781 patients of all ages, infirmities and socio-economic backgrounds. The average stay around this time was 3 ½ years. Though many patients still came from poor backgrounds, the depression brought a greater number of lawyers, artists, scientists, writers and many lady music teachers onto the campus. An article from the L.A. Times described the variety of patients that year:

The employees and patients generally lived in harmony. The power house whistle blew six times a day to signal mealtimes and bedtimes, and soothing concerts were often played over the Ranchos' campus-wide speaker system. Harriman's son, Bill Jr., and other children who grew up at the Rancho remembered a unique and oddly magical childhood, replete with a miniature zoo, tended by patients, and a small golf course. Bill Jr. credited his lifelong love of music (he became a jazz drummer) to a ragtag band of patients who would play on the streets of the campus every day. "It was very loosely organized and nobody bothered to read any music," he remembered. They would sing their way through folk and early American songs with ukuleles, guitars, violins and mouth harps. It was really the first live music I ever heard." 14

Of course, the ranch was a place full of very sick people with very real problems. Alcoholism was rampant. In 1935, many patients became ill and violent after drinking a bootleg shellac alcohol they had bought from a corrupt druggist in downtown Downey. There were sad stories like that of Eulalia Herbert, an elderly widow who had sewed or stuffed over $2,300 in relief money into her dress. Upon her arrival to the ranch, shocked nurses had to peel the money off her body when they went to give her a bath. More and more chronically ill children were also moved to the Rancho at this time.

With the passage of the Social Security Act of 1938 and the coming of World War II, many of the Rancho's elderly and able bodied patients moved to nursing homes or found outside work in the aviation industry and left the ranch. Some who considered the ranch home chose to stay on as paying patients. Some who could not leave, but who wanted to help in the war effort, formed a company called WARCO, which ran a subsidiary shop of Reeves Rubber Company in the Rancho Crafters building. There were other ways go help the war effort at the Rancho. Many wheelchair bound patients worked for Bendix Aviation and other aircraft companies, sorting through sweepings sent from local factories for usable nuts, bolts and usable metals. 15 Part of the ranch became an Army base called Camp Morrow. In 1944, an emergency hospital was founded, and a group of 32 polio victims was transferred to the Rancho. This was the beginning of the Rancho's polio ward, which would become one of the premier polio treatment and rehabilitation centers in the country.

The late '40s and '50s were a time of massive growth and change, and by 1951 the Rancho was considered a premier hospital, whose primary mission was "providing geriatric, medical and nursing care, as well as care for those suffering from chronic diseases or convalescing from medical or surgical conditions." 16 It also provided necessary "medical, surgical, and ancillary care for the largest concentration of respirators-dependent poliomyelitis patients in history." 17 There were no more prize Holsteins or endless orange groves. One by one, the hallmarks of the poor farm were shut down -- the mental health wards were shuttered, and the prize milking cows were sold. William Harriman retired in 1952, and died only two years later. By the late '50s, the County Poor Farm was a thing of the past, but Rancho Los Amigos Hospital was alive and well.

Over the next six decades the Rancho continued to grow. It became a highly respected county medical center of rehabilitation, research and hope. Its new growth was centered around the new campus on the north side of the Imperial Highway. Though most of the long term infirm and elderly patients died or were transferred to nursing homes or other facilities, a chosen few were allowed to stay. Until 1976, Eddie Higgins, a beloved developmentally handicapped man who had called the ranch home since 1926, could be found making his daily rounds, cheering everyone from doctors to fellow patients. 18

By the late 1980s, most of the buildings on the South Campus were abandoned. Over the years, numerous plans have been floated for the property, including the construction of an environmentally friendly county data center. But still the ghostly buildings of the poor farm campus remain, moldering reminders that charity is not a new concept, even in the Wild, Wild West.


Aberdeen History

RCAHMS has been working with the National Library of Scotland and the ‘Scotsman’ newspaper to tell the stories of the nation’s cities.

From intricate seventeenth century sketches and eighteenth century town plans, to pioneering Victorian photography and modern aerial survey imagery, the material from the RCAHMS National Collection is being used to produce visual timelines of the history of Scotland’s major cities and towns.

You can browse and buy all the imagery featured in the supplements – plus a lot more – in our series of galleries and through our online, searchable database of architecture and archaeology, Canmore.


I may be the last person who remembers Ashopton and Derwent

Bamford beckoned me to sit down, eager to begin her story.

“When Rose Cottage in Ashopton came vacant, my parents moved there, and we lived in the village until 1938.â€

“What do you remember about life in Ashopton?†I asked.

“I remember our cottage was very simple. There was no electricity, just a paraffin lamp in the living room. Candles were used everywhere else. The loo was an earthen closet a long way from the house.â€

I nodded, recalling the accounts I’d read of villagers rehoused by the Water Board in homes with modern bathrooms. It had made the move easier.

Visitors to the Ladybower Reservoir in 2018 could see the ruins of Derwent Church and Derwent Hall (Credit: Anthony Devlin/Getty Images)

“And what about Derwent village, Mabel? Do you remember it?â€

“Oh, yes, I was going to school there, even as the construction of Ladybower was underway. We had to walk one-and-a-half miles to Derwent. Sometimes the shooters and beaters in grouse season gave us a lift. But the rides we liked best were offered by the pipeline workers. They’d lift us inside the big black pipes they were constructing at the site of the reservoir,†she said.

Eu concordei. I had noticed the large pipes that span Ladybower at Fairholmes, where the visitor centre sits at the head of Ladybower. They were easily big enough to hold a child.

“I remember in the cold weather there was always a fire lit at school,†Bamford continued. We’d bring a big potato with our initials carved into it and Teacher would bake them for us and make us cups of cocoa.â€

Ninety-two-year-old Mabel Bamford still remembers living in the village of Ashopton before it was submerged in the Ladybower Reservoir (Credit: Helen Moat)

Bamford told me more stories: of the policeman who came to her house to berate her for stealing apples and of the excitement in Ashopton when the petrol station owners generated electricity with a windmill-like contraption. And how the Derwent young men walked to the Methodist Church at Ashopton to scrounge for food at their social gatherings, rechristened the “Bachelors’ Tea†as a result.

I left Bamford, feeling privileged to have heard her first-hand stories of the drowned villages. I’d been offered a glimpse into the past firstly with Derwent's reappearance, and again with Bamford.

One year on, the ruins of Derwent village have returned to the murky depths of Ladybower Reservoir. I’m now left wondering: will Derwent village stay hidden for another decade or more? Or with climate change, will its resurrection become a regular occurrence? I will have to wait and see.

Sunken Civilisation is a BBC Travel series that explores mythical underwater worlds that seem too fantastical to exist today but are astonishingly real.

Join more than three million BBC Travel fans by liking us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter e Instagram.


(left) Side portico of S. Giovanni in Laterano: monument to King Henry IV of France by Nicolas Cordier (right) S. Maria Maggiore - Cappella Paolina: relief celebrating the annexation of Ferrara

Relations between Pope Clement VIII and Henry IV of France became so good that the Pope agreed to annul Henry's marriage with Marguerite of Valois after 27 years. The King soon married Maria de' Medici, niece of Ferdinand I, Grand Duke of Tuscany. The former Huguenot who narrowly escaped being murdered at St. Bartholomew's Day, became a champion of the Church to the point that in 1606 (shortly after the death of the Pope) a bronze statue portraying him as a Roman emperor was placed in S. Giovanni in Laterano the Pope erected a small monument celebrating the Peace of Vervins outside S. Maria Maggiore and made reference to the king in many inscriptions, including the gigantic one which he placed on the fa�ade of Palazzo Senatorio.
Pope Clement VIII did not start any major new buildings, but was busy completing those initiated by Pope Sixtus V. He went ahead with the decoration of S. Pietro where he built Cappella Clementina and he completed Palazzo Apostolico in S. Giovanni in Laterano he renovated the transept and built a gigantic altar and a similarly gigantic organ. Directly or through his nephews the Pope promoted the restoration of several churches: S. Nicol� in Carcere, S. Cesareo, S. Prassede other cardinals took care of S. Maria della Vallicella, S. Susanna and SS. Nereo and Achilleo (in this church Cardinal Cesare Baronio applied the iconographical plan which emphasized the role of the Roman Church in the early centuries of Christianity by portraying the martyrdoms of the first saints).
The Pope built also Collegio Clementino and Palazzo del Monte di Piet�. In 1600 the incorrupt body of St. Cecilia was re-discovered and it was portrayed in a famous statue by Stefano Maderno.

Pope Paul V

o conclave which followed the death of Pope Clement VIII showed the growing importance of France: King Henry IV with the help of the Aldobrandini cardinals was successful in supporting the election of Cardinal Alessandro de' Medici, who had been nuncio in Paris and was a (distant) relative of his second wife. He became Pope Leo XI, but his pontificate was very short: only 26 days. Sic florui the inscription on his funerary monument is a reference indicating that he was in blossom for just a few days.
At the following conclave the cardinals, after eight days of heated debate, elected Cardinal Camillo Borghese who at the time was leading the Inquisition and was not regarded as belonging either to the Spanish or to the French party.
His rigid views on the superior authority of the pope soon led him into a confrontation with the Republic of Venice which clearly showed that the times when an excommunication was able to force an emperor to kiss the pope's slipper to ask forgiveness had gone. The issue at stake was related to the jurisdiction over two priests (actually two noblemen having some ecclesiastical benefits) arrested and charged with several crimes. The Pope claimed through his nuncio that they should be tried in Rome. The Venetian Senate refused and the Pope excommunicated the entire government of Venice and placed an interdict on the city. To his great dismay the clergy (with the exception of the Jesuits and two other orders) sided with the Republic masses, weddings, funerals continued to be celebrated. Eventually in March 1607 Pope Paul V withdrew his censure without being able to force Venice to make concessions: the Jesuits remained banned from Venice for nearly sixty years.


World's Most-Visited Ancient Ruins

Lounging under a striped beach umbrella along the Mediterranean isn&rsquot the main draw for travelers who come through Kusadasi, Turkey. Many are here to explore the ancient ruins of nearby Ephesus, including an amphitheater that still hosts concerts&mdashmuch as it did 2,000 years ago.

&ldquoAncient ruins give us a connection to the past that&rsquos visceral,&rdquo says Mary Jo Arnoldi, chair of the anthropology department at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. &ldquoThis was a real place, and you can walk through it.&rdquo The world&rsquos most-visited ancient ruins, among them Ephesus, can indeed bring history alive. They feed our curiosity and inspire us to contemplate the passing of time&mdashand gawk at their sheer size.

&ldquoRuins represent human achievement writ large,&rdquo says Lynn Meskell, director of the Stanford Archaeology Center. Perhaps none looms larger than the Great Wall, which snakes for 5,500 miles across China&mdasha country of 1.3 billion increasingly travel-hungry people. The picturesque Badaling section is easily accessible from Beijing, and its combination of mass appeal, proximity, and infrastructure accounts for more than 9 million annual visitors, enough to propel the Great Wall to the No. 1 ranking.

Pop culture also fuels the romance of these ruins, whether it&rsquos a highbrow novel set during an ancient Chinese dynasty or a blockbuster movie starring the Egyptian pyramids. Americans recognize other ruins as the model for our own monuments, notably those of the National Mall in Washington, D.C. &ldquoWhen we look at the Acropolis with its majestic Parthenon in Athens, we don&rsquot just see a monument to Classical Greece,&rdquo observes John Papadopoulos, chair of the archaeology interdepartmental program at UCLA, citing it as a worldwide inspiration for democracy.

Such symbolic power can come at a price some of the most-visited ruins are in danger of being loved too much. &ldquoWe have the tremendous privilege of going to these places,&rdquo says Meskell. &ldquoWe enrich our own lives by visiting them. But we need to promote responsible, respectful, and considerate tourism.&rdquo

Read on to discover which ancient ruins attract the most visitors&mdashand heed Meskell&rsquos advice so that these sites will continue to outlast us.

The Methodology: Our criteria were that ruins be several hundred years old (in the Americas, at least 600), human-made, and no longer actively used for purposes other than tourism and research. While Asia has hundreds of Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples that meet the first two standards, those sacred sites are still used for worship. People still live in Pueblo de Taos in New Mexico and the ancient Chinese villages of Xidi and Hongcun, so we omitted them too. We used numbers from verifiable sources, such as tourism boards, ministries of culture, archaeological surveys, and local newspapers.


Angelokastro é um castelo bizantino na ilha de Corfu. Ele está localizado no topo do pico mais alto da costa da ilha e de Quots na costa noroeste perto de Palaiokastritsa e construído em terreno particularmente íngreme e rochoso. Fica a 305 m em um penhasco íngreme acima do mar e examina a cidade de Corfu e as montanhas da Grécia continental a sudeste e uma vasta área de Corfu a nordeste e noroeste.

Angelokastro é um dos complexos fortificados mais importantes de Corfu. Era uma acrópole que inspecionava a região até o sul do Adriático e apresentava um formidável ponto de vista estratégico para o ocupante do castelo.

Angelokastro formou um triângulo defensivo com os castelos de Gardiki e Kassiopi, que cobria Corfu e cita as defesas ao sul, noroeste e nordeste.

O castelo nunca caiu, apesar dos frequentes cercos e tentativas de conquistá-lo ao longo dos séculos, e desempenhou um papel decisivo na defesa da ilha contra as incursões de piratas e durante os três cercos de Corfu pelos otomanos, contribuindo significativamente para a sua derrota.

Durante as invasões, ajudou a abrigar a população camponesa local. Os aldeões também lutaram contra os invasores, desempenhando um papel ativo na defesa do castelo.

O período exato da construção do castelo não é conhecido, mas muitas vezes foi atribuído aos reinados de Miguel I Comneno e seu filho Miguel II Comneno. A primeira evidência documental da fortaleza data de 1272, quando Giordano di San Felice tomou posse dela para Carlos de Anjou, que havia confiscado Corfu de Manfredo, rei da Sicília em 1267.

De 1387 até o final do século 16, Angelokastro foi a capital oficial de Corfu e a sede do Provveditore Generale del Levante, governador das ilhas jônicas e comandante da frota veneziana, que estava estacionada em Corfu.

O governador do castelo (o castelão) era normalmente nomeado pela Câmara Municipal de Corfu e escolhido entre os nobres da ilha.

Angelokastro é considerado um dos vestígios arquitetônicos mais imponentes das Ilhas Jônicas.


Hove in the Past

The land on which the factory stood belonged originally to the Stanford Estate who sold two parcels of land in 1882 and 1892 to Frederick Napper, Brighton Miller. Land from the latter deal was leased to Horace Saunders, Brighton timber merchant, who in 1907 exercised the option to purchase. Napper sold the south part to Adolphe Drincqbier and the western portion to George and Frederick Parsons. The remaining part was leased to George Kelsey, coachbuilder, and Clarence J. Kerridge, builder, and this part of the land was gradually sold off.

It is interesting to note that there was an important industrial site at 2 Hove Park Villas from 1900 to
1903, before Dubarry’s came on the scene. Three brilliant brothers – Horace, Eustace and Oswald Short – backed by Colonel Gouraud established the Menlo Laboratories here Eustace and Oswald created their first hot air balloon on the premises, while Horace worked on his own inventions that required four separate patents. The brothers went on to become the first English aircraft manufacturers.
Ver Aldrington Recreation Ground for more details on the former Menlo Laboratories in Hove and the Short Brothers balloon flight at the Grand Opening of Aldrington Recreation Ground (Wish Park) on the 24th May 1900.


Assista o vídeo: DNA Mulheres. Igreja Cristã DNA De Deus. (Setembro 2022).


Comentários:

  1. Zulkijinn

    Na minha opinião, isso é óbvio. Eu recomendo procurar a resposta para sua pergunta no google.com

  2. Devere

    Assim acontece.

  3. Kearney

    Curiosamente, eu nem pensei nisso ...



Escreve uma mensagem

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos